News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Wah shell opinions please :)

Started by midwayfair, April 30, 2014, 06:34:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

midwayfair

I'm slowly building up the parts for a wah ... I've got ye olde inductor and a Joe Gagan pot ready to go, and a WW2 in my Madbean cart.

Here's a rocker pedal I love the feel of: Ernie Ball VP.
Here's a rocker pedal I can live with but am not thrilled about: Vox.

How does the Smallbear or Pedal Parts Plus compare to the Vox?

Also: Hooker Lip Red textured, cookies and creme vein, or blue hammertone? ;)

Clayford

Hooker Lip Red textured. Because I didn't know that was a thing.
I've not used a PPP enclosure. I've always done them in CB wahs.
Someday converting a VP Jr into a wah must be done. I do like them as VPs
head solder jockey, part time cook: cranky&jaded

jkokura

I have a Vox, a Crybaby, I've used a Maestro, and I have both a full size and Jr size Ernie Ball volume Pedal. And I've gotten a Wah shell from Mammoth, which is I believe the same source as PPP.

The Vox and Crybaby are very similar if not identical in feel, and the DIY version feels just like them. Not like the others.

I like the idea of the Cookies and Creme or Blue Hammertone. There seems something wrong about a Red wah, to me at least.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

GrindCustoms

Cookie and Cream sounds like a neat idea, with a brown chocolate rubber pad? ;D

Killing Unicorns, day after day...

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/

DutchMF

Quote from: jkokura on April 30, 2014, 09:30:24 AM
There seems something wrong about a Red wah, to me at least.

To prove Jacob's point: http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=12209.msg110392#msg110392

I can't say I've got loads of experience with different wah pedals, but to me the CB has always felt very nice under my foot. The only other thing I have more than a bit of experience with is a Morley, dug the sound, hated the feel. And friggin' huge!

Paul
"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"

Clayford

Quote from: DutchMF on April 30, 2014, 09:41:34 AM

To prove Jacob's point: http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=12209.msg110392#msg110392

I can't say I've got loads of experience with different wah pedals, but to me the CB has always felt very nice under my foot. The only other thing I have more than a bit of experience with is a Morley, dug the sound, hated the feel. And friggin' huge!

Paul

Err that red wah looks awesome!
head solder jockey, part time cook: cranky&jaded

DutchMF

Quote from: Clayford on April 30, 2014, 10:12:56 AM

Paul

Thanks! It's one of my favourites as well.

Paul
"If you can't stand the heat, stay away from the soldering iron!"

Gledison

Quote from: DutchMF on April 30, 2014, 11:03:59 AM
Quote from: Clayford on April 30, 2014, 10:12:56 AM

Paul

Thanks! It's one of my favourites as well.

Paul
woooow! i can see the mojo components there! veryyyy nice !
If i fart a lot,  it means that i'm a Gas expert ?

deafbutpicky

I think the ernie ball is the most precise one, haven't tried it in a wah though
and if you like to rock it a lot (like in the shaft theme) it might be better to go
the crybaby route (quicker to handle and a better feel for the peak).

For the colour I'd go for hooker lips red, cause they know best how to form those vowels ;)

jkokura

I wouldn't want to rely on the string and spring of an Ernie Ball for the Wah effect. I think that much abuse on that system might be too much for it to handle long term.

What about the Morley type? I've only heard good things, never tried one.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

midwayfair

Quote from: jkokura on April 30, 2014, 12:49:50 PM
I wouldn't want to rely on the string and spring of an Ernie Ball for the Wah effect. I think that much abuse on that system might be too much for it to handle long term.

It's not an option, anyway -- best I could fit would be inductorless, and the whole point of me building this thing is to have something with a yellow fasel. Well, and to build it.

wgc

I like the crybaby. Got a shell from joe, inductor, & pot too, and ww2 from Brian. Will get to it soon!  I'm going to recoat it and tweak the travel. Interested to try some of the alibaba shells but I don't need 10 or the shipping costs for a single.  I seem to recall some assy issues with the mammoth and pp shells but don't quote me. 
always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.
e.e. cummings

Leevibe

Quote from: midwayfair on April 30, 2014, 02:18:17 PM
Quote from: jkokura on April 30, 2014, 12:49:50 PM

It's not an option, anyway -- best I could fit would be inductorless, and the whole point of me building this thing is to have something with a yellow fasel. Well, and to build it.

Good call on the yellow fasel