News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Mouser is driving me nuts!

Started by thesameage, April 30, 2014, 08:32:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thesameage

Just had to say it. I know that there is a learning curve, but oh man.

irmcdermott

anything in particular you are having a hard time finding?

rullywowr

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

thesameage

Just venting  :)

It's the whole process that gets me. Stayed up late last night working out an order between smallbear and mouser, planning to finish it up at work and order it for the weekend-- only to find that both sites save their orders via cookies, so my shopping cart at work is empty.

Then it's just the hunting around for stuff that really gets me-- as I'm sure it does everyone. I'm building the THC headphone amp had have had some luck going to the shared mouser BOM thread to look for similar values in other THC projects that are there and cross referencing to see what I need. But looking for a 1/8 headphone jack is tough-- way too many choices!

So, really just venting. Not one specific thing, but everything. I like the hobby, but this is the part--the parts ordering-- that is the most painful for me.

miter53

You can save your cart at Mouser. Unless you don't remember to, like me.
"Only sick music makes money today."-Friedrich Nietzsche
My photography website: http://michaelteresko.com/

thesameage

I'm fairly sure I saved it and logged out... though if I didn't and that's why it's not up, then that one is on me! I work with computers, too. I should know better.

pickdropper

You can also send your cart to somebody (or yourself) or you can create a project for it.  But yeah, I've been caught by the cart in the cookies scenario, too.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

Chi_Boy

I like to use Project Manager for big orders.  I can add items to a project titled with a date and put in items for multiple different projects.  Sometimes I take my time and may wait a couple of weeks before actually ordering, adding items the whole time.  When ready to place the order there is a button that says "Order Project"  One click and all the items are in your cart.  And the projects are stored at mouser, so you can work on the list at multiple computers.

thesameage

Looks like my shopping carts both existed here at home due to cookies. Just made both of my orders and I know that some of you are old pros, but I feel like I just gave birth. And now I don't even care about the baby! I'll forget by the time the parts get in, but glad this is over.

I ordered parts for: green russian mudbunny, cosmopolitan, mossy sloth, and a 2 in 1 condor/headphone amp.

Blues Healer

there's a thread with "shared Mouser BOMs" that includes a couple of mudbunnies, among others.

as suggested, I'd create a project for each set of parts, and you should be able to find it no problem.

I'm pretty familiar with Mouser's database, but it still takes time to put an order together from scratch.

someone had a very good, brief synopsis of how to narrow a search down by type and lead spacing ... if you do that, you can narrow your search fairly quickly, considering the size of their database.
"music heals"

thesameage

I did use that shared BOM thread for the mudbunny and cosmo orders. Thank goodness!

Good suggestions here all around.

peAk

yeah, the cart cookie thing has caught me multiple times.

Vallhagen

fwiw, i dont like to order from mouser either. It has happened and will happen again, but mostly i go with alternatives. And it is funny, despite their enormous database, there's still a few of the obvious (well, at least to me) things that they dont carry.

Cheers
Yes i still have Blüe Monster pcb-s for sale!

...and checkout: https://moodysounds.se/

rullywowr

Quote from: Vallhagen on May 01, 2014, 05:04:13 AM
fwiw, i dont like to order from mouser either. It has happened and will happen again, but mostly i go with alternatives. And it is funny, despite their enormous database, there's still a few of the obvious (well, at least to me) things that they dont carry.

Cheers

Like 16mm right angle pots :(

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

thesameage

I would have ordered everything from smallbear, but they didn't have the IC that I needed for the THC headphone amp. Mouser did and while I was there I took advantage of 2 of the BOMs from here.