News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

What commercial pedals do you like?

Started by Leevibe, May 01, 2014, 08:52:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jabulani Jonny

Right now I have the following on my board:

EHX Pulsar - I've thought about building a Trem, but I just don't seem to use it a lot and the Pulsar sounds really good when I do. Just wish it was tap.

Boss DD-7- I run this in tandem with a Multiplex Jr and really just keep it for tap functionality and the long delay times. I've thought about replacing it with a Strymon though.

Ibanez CS-9-  I modded this and absolutely love this chorus pedal.  I've got the parts to build a Pork Barrel, but I think I've talked myself out of it. Just can't see the need when I like this one so much.

VP jr

I'm happy to say that the other 7 pedals I run all the time are DIY.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jonathan

GrindCustoms

Most of the commercial pedals that i own are part of my vintage collection so they don't get a spot on the board simply because i have DIY clones of most of them and they don't ask for specific power supply or simply the weight and real estate that those pedals mean when used.

The commercial stapple on my board are:

TC Polytune Mini
Maxon AD999

In rotation:

Maxon OD820, depends of my mood i guess, sometime it's my favorite OD ever to boost and clean up the lead channel of my amp, sometime a klone will take is place.

TC Ditto Looper, if not used in the shop side for fine tuning other circuits it's on the board to actually tweak pedals that i'm working on, might need to buy a second one because i really like it.

There's something about the AD999 that just can be done by any other delay pedal that i've tried, the way it «opens up» the sound is ridiculously awesome, even with a minimum of delay mixed in is effect on the perceptible «width» of what's coming out of the amp is stunning, it's pretty much set as a always on pedal and i stack my other delays on top of it and it works flawlessly.

Only other commercial pedal that i'm considering to have on my board as a staple is the Way Huge SupaPuss, got an AP3 that was built by Morgan and that thing is lots of awesomeness, i need the next step of that thing.
Killing Unicorns, day after day...

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/

the3secondrule

On my bass board Permanently:

-Boss Ge7B (the older, brown and gold bass eq) - i'd love to diy one, but it'd have to have faders rather than rotary controls...
-xotic x-blend. Basically three pedals in one. True bypass effects loop; blender for effect loop, with controls for gain/treble/bass on the clean signal; and also runs as a pretty nice clean boost.
(i would DIY this one, if I could figure out the switching...)
-EHX SMMWH - delays and loops. im still learning to use this one, there are so many sounds in there
-ibanez AD9 - this has probably been on my board longer than anything else. my favourite analog delay.

the DIYs on my board are a hotcake and Big muff. and ocassionally a lowrider. Soon to be replaced with a bigmuff, Rat, hotcake, kingslayer 4-in-1

In rotation:
I have an original BeeBaa that sometimes comes out to play, along with a roland AP2 phaser

I've gotten fairly brutal about selling stuff that isn't getting used. of course that means I end up buying the same thing again later when I decide maybe I could use it. generally, i am wrong though ;)
"I have many leatherbound books, and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

GermanCdn

Barber Tone Press

TC Polytune and HOF reverb

Boss Bluesdriver

Way Huge Pork Loin

Seymour Duncan Vapor Trails Delay

Ditto Looper
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

LaceSensor

Lovetone
Dr Scientist
Strymon
Boss
Digitech
Electro harmonix
Way huge

madbean

I forgot to mention my other commercial ones I like but haven't used in a while: Digitech PDS1002 (I have two of them) and a real deal 4xSAD1024 DMM (that one needs a tune up). And, of course, my XP ALL which I bought from Greg here on the forum. It's pretty rad.

aballen

Zcat sample/chorus/delay

Other that that everything on my board is built by me.... Except my ditto looper and tuner

alanp

Korg Pitchblack. On the basis of "I can't build one". The only pedals I can't really build something close to are the digital ones, like the HOG, and I can get by without those perfectly well (and the Lowrider is an acceptable substitute, it's not like my playing is that good anyway.)

Plus I got into this for the cheapness aspect as much as the fun (more the fun, if I'm honest.)
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

jighead81

Ditto and RV-3, sold every other production pedal. These two just come in handy

gtr2

1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

wolfingsworth

No matter how many overdrive pedals I build, I keep coming back to my Visual Sound red version 1 Jekyll and Hyde. It's just a really usable, versatile pedal.

I also just bought a ditto looper that I think is going to be an invaluable tool for both practice and testing/tweaking diy circuits.

I still use my Line6 echo park, but I'm pretty sure it could easily be replaced with something diy with taptation since I really don't use delay that often.

madboy

Boss TU-2 (I've heard the TU-3 is a little noisier... anyone?), Boss NS-2 noise suppressor, Boss trem (I will build a trem to replace this) and a DD-3. I had hoped to replace the delay with a cave dweller, but it's just way too dark, especially with distortion. Oh, and a Crybaby. The other 11 pedals on my board are all diy... with a few more coming up soon, hopefully!

Willybomb

Right now, I must have my Blackstar HT-Dual.  A tuner pedal of any sort.  Pretty much any wah will make me happy too.

I got by for years with just an Arion tuner (not even chromatic, just EADGB), a DS-1, and a crybaby though...

pikervs

I do not possess any commercial pedal, but my guitar teacher does and I particularly dig 3 of his effects.
1) Budda Budwah
This thing has a HUGE tone, really fat and powerful. If the Crybaby sounds like a newborn baby crying, the closest thing the Budwah sounds like is the All Blacks doing their signature haka dance.
2) Carl Martin Chorus XII
A great chorus. Both in mono and stereo mode it just sounds great; best pedal I've heard, second only to the Roland JC-120 built in chorus.
3) Carl Martin Plexitone
The High Gain section is good, and so is the boost (which is put after the drive section), but the reason I really like this effect is the crunch channel: it is punchy and not muddy at all and it does not mask the tone of the guitar you use.

Anyway, I should mention I own a Zoom G5 digital multi-effect unit. It's really great for what it's worth: the only simulations that I do not like really much are the overdrives, some really high-gain distortions and some amps. The crunchs it has sound good though.

juansolo

Neunaber WET reverb. I LOVE this thing. So utterly simple to use, yet it sounds incredible on just about any setting. No bullshit, just a great sounding verb.

Then there's Brian Neunaber. It's essentially a DSP pedal as far as I can tell and he enjoys tweaking and adding other options to it. He takes suggestions from users and implements them. All these updates are free.

Then there's the fact that you can update the pedal as any of his other stereo pedals if you want. Which is off the wall awesome. Again free.

I just love the effect and the guy's attitude to his users. I will always have a WET reverb.

My other commercial effect that I still have is an EQD Rainbow Machine. Just because it's batshit crazy.

Had a Subdecay Prometheus for a while that was awesome too.
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk