News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Juicebox - TH Customs Valve-e-Tizer

Started by Guybrush, May 02, 2014, 12:52:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

m-Kresol

Wow. That looks amazing! Awesome work with the finish.

As I just ordered all the parts from various sources, I hope to get mine done next. I had a great idea myself for the finish and I hope the etch turns out as I wanted (first try etching). One question: is it necessary to screw the voltage regulator to the enclosure? is it getting that hot? or is it just so it is not dangling around?
Cheers
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

Cortexturizer

Now this just has it all. Perfection all around. And don't even get me started on how much I love the way Orange amps look...
https://kuatodesign.blogspot.com - thoughts on some pedals I made
https://soundcloud.com/kuato-design-stompboxes - sounds and jams

Vallhagen

Quote from: pickdropper on May 02, 2014, 01:45:47 PM
Wow, that is one of the nicest builds I've seen.

I would like to add in on this comment! About as perfect as anything gets.

Cheers
Yes i still have Blüe Monster pcb-s for sale!

...and checkout: https://moodysounds.se/

Guybrush

Blimey, thanks guys. The kind words are appreciated!

Quote from: m-Kresol on May 03, 2014, 02:42:06 AM
One question: is it necessary to screw the voltage regulator to the enclosure? is it getting that hot? or is it just so it is not dangling around?
Cheers

I was advised that it's sensible to use the enclosure as a heat sync for the regulator. When the circuit was hooked up to my test rig I accidentally touched the regulator and it was incredibly hot. Not sure how long it would last before burning out and it would almost certainly burn another component or wire if it came into contact with it.

And the scotch tape definitely adds a little clarity to the LED. Much more so than regular heat shrink ;)

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

wgc

That's sweeeeeet!  Love the theme you have going with the vox and this
always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.
e.e. cummings

GrindCustoms

Magnifique!!! 8)

If you have the chance to grab a RCA 12AT7 ClearTop you will not regret it, i've tried multitude of other tubes in my boobtubes and nothing come close to the performance offered by the ClearTop.

Most excellent built!
Killing Unicorns, day after day...

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/

Rockhorst

Gorgeous build!

Silly question but...I've seen that metal tube protector on more than one build and would like to use it as well (I've three Valve-e-Tizer boards waiting)...what is it? Where do I go looking for it in (supposedly) the hardware store?

mshuptar

selfdestroyer

Quote from: Rockhorst on May 03, 2014, 03:20:51 PM
Gorgeous build!

Silly question but...I've seen that metal tube protector on more than one build and would like to use it as well (I've three Valve-e-Tizer boards waiting)...what is it? Where do I go looking for it in (supposedly) the hardware store?

They are called a U Bolt here in the US.

das234

Quote from: Rockhorst on May 03, 2014, 03:20:51 PM
Gorgeous build!

Just ask for a standard u-bolt.  Take your tube to the hardware store to measure which size bolt to get.  And buy a couple extra nuts for inside the enclosure. 

Guybrush

Cheers dudes!

Quote from: GrindCustoms on May 03, 2014, 12:32:11 PM

If you have the chance to grab a RCA 12AT7 ClearTop you will not regret it, i've tried multitude of other tubes in my boobtubes and nothing come close to the performance offered by the ClearTop.

I know pretty much nothing about balves. Are the tubes you mentioned rare beasts or will I able to find one on eBay?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

m-Kresol

Quote from: Guybrush on May 03, 2014, 11:08:55 AM
Blimey, thanks guys. The kind words are appreciated!

Quote from: m-Kresol on May 03, 2014, 02:42:06 AM
One question: is it necessary to screw the voltage regulator to the enclosure? is it getting that hot? or is it just so it is not dangling around?
Cheers

I was advised that it's sensible to use the enclosure as a heat sync for the regulator. When the circuit was hooked up to my test rig I accidentally touched the regulator and it was incredibly hot. Not sure how long it would last before burning out and it would almost certainly burn another component or wire if it came into contact with it.

Thanks. I'll certainly do that as well then.
One other thing: I was following your tech help thread, so I'm curious. What was the mistake in the end that led to the non functional build?
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

alanp

Some care is needed when using the enclosure as a heatsink for the regulator -- the tab might not be ground, it could be in or out. Check the datasheet, and use an insulating layer if needed.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

angrykoko

That's really really nice.
How did you recess the top?  is it simply a box around the enclosure?

Nailed the graphics and feel of an orange amp.
The early bird may get the worm, but the second mouse gets the cheese in the trap.

Thomas_H

I am so happy for you that it finally turned out so great!
-Thomas

Quote from: alanp on May 04, 2014, 03:13:06 AM
Some care is needed when using the enclosure as a heatsink for the regulator -- the tab might not be ground, it could be in or out. Check the datasheet, and use an insulating layer if needed.
In general this is absolutely right! But since V1.4 of the Valv-e-tizer the enclosure can be used as heatsink with the 7806 regulator without problems.
It really depends on the tube used but usually the regulator will live without heatsink - but this is not recommended.
Quote from: m-Kresol on May 04, 2014, 01:54:54 AM
One other thing: I was following your tech help thread, so I'm curious. What was the mistake in the end that led to the non functional build?

There had been a few small issues but in the end the JJ-tube used had not enough gain to really distort with single coil input. Not sure if this applies to all JJ AT7 but this one definitely did not work.
DIY-PCBs and projects: