News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Juicebox - TH Customs Valve-e-Tizer

Started by Guybrush, May 02, 2014, 07:52:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Guybrush

Quote from: Thomas_H on May 04, 2014, 05:01:53 PM
I am so happy for you that it finally turned out so great!
-Thomas

Thanks for all your help Thomas.

Quote from: angrykoko on May 04, 2014, 10:32:17 AM
That's really really nice.
How did you recess the top?  is it simply a box around the enclosure?

Nailed the graphics and feel of an orange amp.

I glued wood strips to the top of the enclosure. Here's a picture of my older Vox in a Box build.

There was a lot of trail and error with different types of adhesive to get all the different materials to stick together but I got there in the end.

Cheers guys.

nzCdog

now thats slick!  great build man, I remember your vox build this is taking it to a new level of awesome

GrindCustoms

Quote from: Guybrush on May 04, 2014, 06:57:23 AM
Cheers dudes!

Quote from: GrindCustoms on May 03, 2014, 07:32:11 PM

If you have the chance to grab a RCA 12AT7 ClearTop you will not regret it, i've tried multitude of other tubes in my boobtubes and nothing come close to the performance offered by the ClearTop.

I know pretty much nothing about balves. Are the tubes you mentioned rare beasts or will I able to find one on eBay?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

They can easily be found on Ebay, if lucky you'll get it for 20$shipped max when buying them in single. I buy them in lots and then test them.

If you have any luck finding a tested one at a reasonable price, contact me by PM i'll hook you up!

Rej
Killing Unicorns, day after day...

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/

GrindCustoms

Just looked on Ebay, there's plenty of them! :D Might worth it to buy a «duet» comes out cheaper with shipping. Those tube also sound rad in amplifiers where you'd want to have a less gainy input.... just sound terrific in anything you put them in!

There's also a lot of 40!!!! Watching it! ;D

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/

Guybrush

Cheers man. Though I'm not sure I could ever build enough pedals to warrant buying 40! Ha

mah62

Bollocks, things just get better on this site!

Mark

Hexjibber

Amazing build man! This one is off the hook!

m-Kresol

Yay, most of my parts are here. One question though. What are the supposed values you have to set the trimpots to? or is it just tuning by sound?
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

Guybrush

By sound. Thomas recommend not turning either of the pots to their extremities though as you may damage the valve.

Set your trimmers to their mid-points. Hook your circuit up to your test rig. Wait a few seconds for the tube to warm up and engage the circuit. Turn the gain knob up to max and turn the volume to a point that isn't going to deafen you. Play your guitar through the circuit and make small turns on the trimmers until you achieve maximum volume and gain.

Good luck!

stevewire

Hey Guybrush,
Both pedals look awesome!

hylandren

Don't know how I missed this earlier, but  WOW, that thing is cool in every way possible!
Not sure where you scored the orange tolex, but I am looking for some tan tolex, if you know a good source...

m-Kresol

Quote from: Guybrush on May 08, 2014, 02:13:25 PM
By sound. Thomas recommend not turning either of the pots to their extremities though as you may damage the valve.

Set your trimmers to their mid-points. Hook your circuit up to your test rig. Wait a few seconds for the tube to warm up and engage the circuit. Turn the gain knob up to max and turn the volume to a point that isn't going to deafen you. Play your guitar through the circuit and make small turns on the trimmers until you achieve maximum volume and gain.

Good luck!

Thanks!
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

Guybrush

Quote from: hylandren on May 08, 2014, 02:48:08 PM
Don't know how I missed this earlier, but  WOW, that thing is cool in every way possible!
Not sure where you scored the orange tolex, but I am looking for some tan tolex, if you know a good source...

Thanks! I was happy how it turned out.

I got the tolex from good old ebay. Not sure if you'll be able to find tan though.

das234

You MUST give us a tutorial on tolex wrapping before Thomas gets restocked on these boards.

GrindCustoms

Quote from: Guybrush on May 05, 2014, 07:20:57 PM
Cheers man. Though I'm not sure I could ever build enough pedals to warrant buying 40! Ha

I don't use them in pedals only, they make great power tube for single ended 1watt amp or push pull small beasts too.