News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Build-Off?

Started by madbean, May 30, 2010, 09:00:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

madbean

Anyone interested in a friendly build-off competition? With prizes, of course. Just gauging interest. Sound off :)

irmcdermott

sounds intriguing.... and fun! i'd be interested in hearing the details!

pandadandan

Hahaha.
I'm currently in the middle of one of these for a different website.
It's actually called the "build-a-fuzz, get-a-fuzz-thon" where you... the name says it all  ;D

It sounds like good fun, though.   :D

Haberdasher

I'd consider it if we could have a lightweight division.  I doubt I could win anything competing against the experienced guys with refined techniques.  For one thing I don't know how to do graphix, which is kind of silly I guess since i have photoshop and illustrator skills.  I just don't have any idea how to go from pixels to reality...

How would it work anyway?  Would everyone build the same project?

Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

irmcdermott

Quote from: Haberdasher on May 31, 2010, 12:05:30 PM
I'd consider it if we could have a lightweight division.  I doubt I could win anything competing against the experienced guys with refined techniques.  For one thing I don't know how to do graphix, which is kind of silly I guess since i have photoshop and illustrator skills.  I just don't have any idea how to go from pixels to reality...

How would it work anyway?  Would everyone build the same project?

I totally get where you are coming from on the graphics. I was in the same boat (and still am to some extent). I use my own modded version of frequencycentral's OHP Transparency Method http://freestompboxes.org/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=6145&start=0&hilit=enclosure+tutorial. Here is what I do for my graphics:

1. I import the drill template page of the project PDF into GIMP (freeware Photoshop-esque program for Mac) at 300dpi (i think).
2. I create a layer on top of the page and label it "Decal." Than with the drill template layer selected I use the elliptical select tool and copy each drill hole and paste it on the "Decal" layer. Then I make a box that is smaller than the border, so that I have some "wiggle room," so that I know where to cut the graphic.
3. I add the actual picture in a layer underneath the "Decal" (so the drill holes are on top of it) and place it where I want and scale it however I need to. Once I have it where I want it, I usually merge that layer with the "Decal" layer.
4. I add and position any text that I need (each word is it's own layer).
5. I print out a test page on regular paper, cut it out and make sure it will fit on top, place the knobs on it to make sure that the text is readable.
6. I then make any adjustments to the text I need, print another test if necessary, and once it's all good I merge everything so that the only layers I have left are "Drill Template" and "Decal."
7. Print the final graphic. Make sure you print it to MIRRORED to the rough side of the transparency.
8. Now that I have the graphic I follow the tutorial in that link, EXCEPT, I have had no luck applying the graphic with just clear coat like he does, so instead I use 3M 77 Spray Adhesive ($10 at home depot). You don't have much time for wiggle room, but it hasn't hurt me yet.
9. Once that's totally dry (it will leave a slightly rough finish, so I mask the sides with blue painters tape), I start applying light coats of clear coat until the clear coat and the graphic are seamless.
10. Once all of that is 100% dry, I take my trusty razor and cut out the holes and start populating the box!

Hope all of that makes sense. If you give it a try and have any questions, let me know!

Ian

irmcdermott

oh yeah, this is the ebay source i get my transparencies from. seems to be the cheapest i have found, and really fast, free shipping, and the link i'm attaching is for one of Buy It Now auctions. they sell more quantities than packs of 10s, and you might save a couple of bucks if you bid on an auction, but I bought 3 of those for $18 and it seemed most places on the internet sell packs of 25 for up around $30-$40.

here's the link. if this link ever goes dead, the seller is "sourcedata"

http://cgi.ebay.com/Hammermill-Premium-Inkjet-Transparency-Film-10-sht-/360189349576?cmd=ViewItem&pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item53dcf54ec8

madbean

Okay, it seems there's some interest. I have an idea for the competition, as well. Keep in mind the goal may not be to make the best looking or most professionally built pedal. It could be something quite different :)

I'll figure out the details and get them up as soon as I finish up these mailings today.

irmcdermott

sweet! can't wait! i'll hold off on my next build until i hear more!

pigyboy

Let see who can invest the most in the worst sounding pedal!
Pig ;D

CRBMoA

gtr2

1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

madbean

They're coming. I'll be creating a new area on the forum for the competition. If it goes well, it could be a regular thing :)

gtr2

1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer