Main Menu

Faultline / Catalinbread SFT

Started by Hexjibber, May 05, 2014, 12:12:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GrindCustoms

You ain't human, you're a Laser!!!

Badass work! :o
Killing Unicorns, day after day...

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/

Haberdasher

dang, that looks awesome man!  helluva good job.
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

hoodoo

Super nice, intricate etch mate, very impressive  :)

Morgan

Wow - that's insanely nice!

I felt that this is one circuit that is night and day different at 18 volts. I like mine a ton better at higher voltage, FWIW.
Moderator at BYOC, still sometimes futz around with Leila Vintage Electronics.

Old Blog...

raulduke

Thats bloody awesome.

AMAZING etch dude!

Hexjibber

Thanks for all the cool feedback guys, great to have a forum where we can share our work, it's a constant source of inspiration for me!

Quote from: Morgan on May 05, 2014, 09:50:32 PM
I felt that this is one circuit that is night and day different at 18 volts. I like mine a ton better at higher voltage, FWIW.

I'd like to try it at 18V as my PSU can do 12V and that certainly made a difference, the sound is almost there on my build but I'd like it to have a bit more balls to it! I also found that this circuit seems to prefer a clean signal rather than overdriven, anyone else found the same?

hylandren

I know you chemical etch, but the fine lines on this one are so sharp that it looks like a laser etch.
Great graphics design as well. An inspiring build on all levels.

micromegas

This one is one of the coolest/cleanest etches I've ever seen.... I might have to switch from FeCl to your method....
'My favorite programming language is solder' - Bob Pease

Software Developer @ bela.io

Guybrush

Quote from: Hexjibber on May 06, 2014, 02:11:06 AM
Thanks for all the cool feedback guys, great to have a forum where we can share our work, it's a constant source of inspiration for me!

I'd like to try it at 18V as my PSU can do 12V and that certainly made a difference, the sound is almost there on my build but I'd like it to have a bit more balls to it! I also found that this circuit seems to prefer a clean signal rather than overdriven, anyone else found the same?

Hey man

Such a great etch. Don't know if you remember but you helped me over on DIYSB with my etching process. (I'm called Threepwood over there and we realised that we both live in Brighton).

Anyway, I bought an 18v convertor from GAK in to try with my Faultline. Maybe it's something wrong with my build but it really didn't sound good.

If you want to try it out let me know and I'll get the adapter to you. It's be good to know how you're sounds at 18v.

Morgan

Quote from: Guybrush on May 08, 2014, 01:22:04 PM
Quote from: Hexjibber on May 06, 2014, 02:11:06 AM

Hey man

Such a great etch. Don't know if you remember but you helped me over on DIYSB with my etching process. (I'm called Threepwood over there and we realised that we both live in Brighton).

Anyway, I bought an 18v convertor from GAK in to try with my Faultline. Maybe it's something wrong with my build but it really didn't sound good.

If you want to try it out let me know and I'll get the adapter to you. It's be good to know how you're sounds at 18v.
FWIW - I was pretty picky with the fets on mine. I sorted until I got what I wanted at 9 volts. Then when I tried 18v, I sorted fets again until i got the best response (did not use the same ones that sounded good at 9 volts). For my build, it was all about the 18 volts though! Sounded mediocre until then.  ;D

Old Blog...

Guybrush

Ahh ok. Can you remember what you fets you used for 18v?

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

Morgan

They are all 2N5457 (I think that's what's recommended). But what I meant was, that I swapped individual devices (not part numbers) until I found a set I liked. The gain of those fets is not consistent. Also, I was looking for good clarity versus the most gain.

Old Blog...

Guybrush

Thanks, I understand.

Hexjibber

Quote from: Guybrush on May 08, 2014, 01:22:04 PM
Hey man

Hey dude! Yeah I realised it was you man, also a fan of Monkey Island! ;)

I ended up putting a charge pump in it the other day and for me it definitely sounds better (more gain and general oomph) although not markedly different from when I was running it at 12V to be honest. Listening to your video though I wouldn't say that yours sounds like mine did at 9V, more like mine does at 12V/18V so perhaps you were luckier with the transistors than me? I'd be interested to see if I can squeeze some more gain out of mine as it's still not quite in the same territory as the Catalinbread vids, I've been using a Timmy as a clean boost to nudge it into more saturation at the moment.

Is there a way to measure the gain on these FETs so I can avoid too much guess work do you know?

Guybrush

That's ones beyond be I'm afraid. I'm sure someone will know.