News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Cool YouTube vid: overdrive shootout...

Started by pauloman80, April 08, 2011, 07:53:13 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pauloman80

So if you've ever wondered what certain pedals might sound like, here's a vid of a shootout between thirty-some-odd stomps, including the upcoming redesigned Klon!  You don't see it unfortunately, but it's not far off.  Enjoy!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WuTt8YFblcE&feature

--------------------------------------------------
Regards,
pauloman80

Myramyd

Thanks for sharing that. It was pretty interesting. A lot were similar and some were very different.

The ones I liked best were:

Caroline Wave Cannon
Crowther Hot Cake
Fulltone OCD v4 (sounded better than my Egodriver--Hmm...)
Ibanez TS808
Klon Centaur (Silver--the other two Klons sounded bright)
Lovepedal Kalamazoo
MXR Classic OD M-66
Xotic AC Booster
Xotic BB Preamp

I thought the Black Cat OD was downright awful--sputtery mess. Also didn't like the Budda Fat Man, which ironically sounded very thin to me. Everything else was pretty usable IMHO.

J

crash

Your list of favorites looks very close to mine.  Xotic BB and Lovepedal probably my top two favorites based on that video.

I question running the test on the bridge pickup of a tele though.  I would think a strat neck or position 2 on a strat would be a much better evaluation.  You're just not going to get any low end on a bridge pickup of a tele.

Now we just need a shoot out of fuzz pedals!!!!!!!!!!

bigmufffuzzwizz

The thing about this demo that seemed strange to me was the guy set most of the pedals up to sound the same. Instead of showing some differences in each pedal that make them unique, he showed how all these pedal can sound similar on a pre-recorded riff. It just wasn't what I was expecting.

I second a fuzz shootout!!!
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

sprayfe

Bridge Tele pickup in an actual mix = perfection.

Anywho- I'm building 4+ pedals a week- and I'm willing to admit that
9 out of 10 would be indistinguishable in a mix...

But I love building and critiquing!

gtr2

I saw this a while ago when it was hot off the press on the gear page.  I was disappointed after watching the first couple drives.  I didn't feel like the strengths of the individual pedals were showcased.  Props for all their work though, it was no easy task assembling and shooting all those overdrives.

Josh
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

Myramyd

Yeah, it would be tough to really do this more comprehensively. I thought it was decent at showing a "basic" character of the pedals. However quite a few of them I liked better with everything at noon BEFORE he changed to their preferred settings.

Most players know what a TS sounds like in action so it almost would have been best to start there, then you could compare everything in basic relation to that TS sound.

J

pauloman80

Yeah, it's more of a snapshot rather than a full-blown shootout.  But much of what I heard seemed pretty accurate when I saw pedals I'm familiar with.  They started with all the knobs at 12 o'clock high, then dialed in the settings they felt sounded the best.  It's pretty subjective between the guitar used, the amp used, the mics & positions used to mic the amp, the preamp they ran the mics through, the guy's playing style, and the fact that everyone's ear hears & prefers different things.  Case in point, I didn't much care for any of the pedals in either Myramynd's and crash's lists.  ;D  Errebuddy's diff'rent. 
--------------------------------------------------
Regards,
pauloman80