Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

hi

Started by 29palms, May 10, 2014, 04:01:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

29palms

hi
hi all,

I've been playing guitar on and off for around 25 years — though you might not believe that if you heard me play ;)

I made some effects from Craig Anderton's book about 15 years ago and I thought I might have another go...

I'm playing in a surf band right now so I'm thinking of building the surfy bear spring reverb project so I'm sure I'll be picking your brains / begging you to bail me out in no time!
ta
George

muddyfox

Welcome!

Your playing story sounds remarkably like mine although I haven't been at it that long... still the skill is nowhere near the time or the effort. What do I do to compensate (or rather, find an excuse)? I build pedals!  ;D

Fire away whenever you are unclear about something... I'm sure we can get to the bottom of it.

Leevibe

Welcome, 29palms!

selfdestroyer

Nice to meet you George and can't wait to see what you do with that FET reverb project.

Cody

m-Kresol

Welcome to the community. Brace yourself for some major addictions coming up! Believe me, it gets out of hand quickly. Just yesterday I thought to myself "when did I get sooo many parts?" :D

Quote from: muddyfox on May 10, 2014, 04:45:33 AM
Your playing story sounds remarkably like mine although I haven't been at it that long... still the skill is nowhere near the time or the effort. What do I do to compensate (or rather, find an excuse)? I build pedals!  ;D
+1! I also hope to compensate for my inadequate playing skills with running the signal through as many pedals as possible to hide that fact! And this is not a joke
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

29palms

haha, thanks for the greets guys!

I received the pcb for the Surfy Bear recently and didn't realize it was going to be so tiny.

I immediately realized that I've bitten off more than I can chew with this one.

I decided to try something simpler first and attempted to build the Nocturne brain Seltzer by Mark from Tag Board Effects (hope I'm allowed to mention other pedal sites! ;).

I ordered some parts and solder etc. I know my eyes aren't what they were last time I built something but I swear the components are smaller than they used to be!

Anyway it's built, doesn't work, so now I'm waiting on a 20x magnifying Loupe and a DMM so I can attempt to debug the little swine...

ta
G

peAk

welcome!

And Surf Rock Rules!

gtr2

1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

muddyfox

Quote from: 29palms on June 10, 2014, 04:10:22 AM
I immediately realized that I've bitten off more than I can chew with this one.

No fear... one component at a time and easy on the bubbly while doing it and it's done!  ;D

Quote from: 29palms on June 10, 2014, 04:10:22 AM
I know my eyes aren't what they were last time I built something but I swear the components are smaller than they used to be!

Wanna try some SMD?  ;D

Leevibe

I use one of these magnifying lamps. It puts out good light, magnifies, and provides reasonable eye protection.

lars

I would never attempt playing a guitar straight into something like a vintage fender deluxe; there would be nowhere for my lousy playing to hide! Stack the pedals upon pedals and make loud noises!
Yep. I clicked the, "continue without supporting us" link....

upthepunxxx

Welcome! I just joined a couple month ago, and everyone on here has been super rad, and super helpful! Its like no other forum I've been apart of. You've come to right place, these dudes know whats up!  8)
Wake up and smell the noise!!

icecycle66

Nice to have you.
There are plenty of reverb projects to choose from, build them all.

Stomptown

Welcome!  You do realize you just opened pandora's box, right?  :P  Just remember, what happens in madbean stays on madbean! Seriously though, can't wait to see what you come up with!   :)

29palms

Thanks again for the greets everyone!

PeAk, we're not trad surf but we don't know what else to call it when people ask! Check some demos out on soundcloud if your interested- https://soundcloud.com/29-palms

Thanks Josh, as upthepunxx says this is a fantastic site and your projects look really interesting.

SMD? no thanks! Bjorn, who I got the Surfy Bear PCB from, offered me some matched SMD transistors for the build but I'm not ready for that yet...

Both the magnifying loupe and the DMM got lost in the post. The replacements showed up yesterday...

They forgot the leads for the DMM so I'm still waiting on that.

The Loupe is OK for inspecting joints/checking components but you have to have the board about 5cm from the goggles so it won't be any good for soldering.

I'm going to check out that lamp Leevibe, but I was hoping for something I can wear so I don't have to keep moving the magnifier, I have some 'helping hands' with a magnifier but I found it wasn't really powerful enough and I had to keep moving the lens all the time...

I've ordered some of these

I'll let you know how they turn out. Can't go wrong buying from James Bond right? ;]