News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Trainwreck like od?

Started by Jmilla, May 13, 2014, 01:24:49 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jmilla

Sorry if I'm missing something obvious but does anyone have an idea of what od pcb out there would be like a Trainwreck? I have a buddy who wants one but I dunno what to build.

midwayfair

Some discussion here:

http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=9576

As an update, you might be able to get something like a Rocket by Fenderizing the tone stack in the Runoff Groove Brittania, which has quite a bit of gain.

I've played through one 'wreck, though (Sarah). Let's just say that I don't think you're going to duplicate the amps' dynamic range (and certainly not their massive air-moving) in an 18V circuit, and the best you probably can get is emulating the tone stack and/or perhaps the full-tilt settings, and it's debatable how different it would end up feeling than many other decent FET-style ODs. Not to mention that picking a "trainwreck" sound is like picking a "Dumble" sound ... all the amps are going to sound different because they're personalized.

selfdestroyer

I have read a few times that the Wam*ler - Paisley Drive was Trainwreck like... But I definitely agree with Jon about  them all sounding different.

Cody

rullywowr

A lot of the train wreck sound is credited to the transformers as well as each one was custom tweaked.

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

Jmilla

After doing some more research I think I'm gonna play around with the Britannia and see if I can come close. My friend is a rabid brad paisley fan but didn't like the wampler paisley drive which I believe is just a modded ts isn't it?

selfdestroyer

Quote from: Jmilla on May 13, 2014, 06:56:49 PM
After doing some more research I think I'm gonna play around with the Britannia and see if I can come close. My friend is a rabid brad paisley fan but didn't like the wampler paisley drive which I believe is just a modded ts isn't it?

From Brian at Wampler "it's not gonna be hard to figure out what it is guys... it's a tweaked 808."

micromegas

Quote from: Jmilla on May 13, 2014, 06:56:49 PM

I didn't like the Paisley drive either. I'm thinking about selling it here.

About the Britannia mod, keep us updated, I just bought a pcb from Josh and plan to build it stock, but I'm interested in any possible Trainwreck teaking too
'My favorite programming language is solder' - Bob Pease

Software Developer @ bela.io

davent

This demo of an Express is quite popular over at TAG.

"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

alanp

IIRC, the same guy built two clones, and said they were fairly close?
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

jtn191

I'm starting a slow build of a Trainwreck Liverpool. Sounds really good to me. High gain vox/marshall. They say the "Trainwreck" sound comes from overdriving each gain stage at the same time. Look into a DAM Sonic Titan maybe? It's supposed to "provide power amp overdrive", sounded really good to me.

rullywowr

Iv'e always wanted to try building an Express clone based off the Ceriatone kit.  Looks fun and rewarding.

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

jtn191

Bump to recommend DAM Sonic Titan and other fuzzy overdrivers Skreddy Screwdriver, FF even...
Maybe a Colorsound Overdriver, Sweet Honey/Honey Bee or even a Timmy--for it's "touch sensitiveness". I haven't played a lot of these or the 3 models of Trainwrecks but are just my suggestions.