News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

What are your desert island effects?

Started by Leevibe, May 13, 2014, 05:08:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leevibe

I'm planning a multi effect build that is to contain my three most essential effects. I've done a lot of thinking about it and I've concluded that the three most essential effects for me are a good overdrive, tremolo, and delay. Most of what i need to do can be done with those three. It was hard to keep reverb out of there.

So, the tough question: If you could only have three effects, what would they be? No cheating. You can only pick three. A good guitar and nice amp can be accepted as given.

alanp

La Vache, Doppelganger, and ?Flange. Those 3 have been on my board (in one form or another) ever since I first built them.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

selfdestroyer

My three would be...

Fuzz - Delay - Reverb

My first effect pedal was a v3 Big Muff and to this day I have yet to have a pedal board with at least 1 BMP variant on it. As of right now I have a Pharaoh (rully's PCB) on my board and I love it. I love my Strymon Timeline but if I had to condense down my delay of choice would be the Multiplex. As for reverb goes I am in love with my new Big Sky at the moment but if I was to condense that also, I would go with a Rub-A-Dub with a long brick.

I just started using modulation pedals like Chorus and Phaser recently. Not on my "must have" at this point but I am having fun with them.

Cody

haveyouseenhim

Dr. Boogie first and for most. Then deadastronaut's chasm reverb and a strymon delay.

The boogie for heavy chugging and signaling for rescue. And the reverb and delay for when those weird island mushrooms kick in.
I'm sorry sir, we only have the regular ohms

muddyfox

Quote from: alanp on May 13, 2014, 05:38:37 AM
La Vache, Doppelganger, and ?Flange. Those 3 have been on my board (in one form or another) ever since I first built them.

That'd be some enclosure!  ;D
How many pots all in all?

alanp

Let's see... 2 on the LaVache, 6 on the Dopp, 6 on the Flange, so 14 pots, and...

2 on LaVache, 6 on the Dopp, 3 on the Flange (I'm including non-bypass stomps here), so 11 switches.

What can I say, options are nice.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

muddyfox

Sounds like a desert island setup to me!   ;D

Droogie

If I had to pare it down to three (and I never do):
Kingslayer
Zero Point DX
Tenebrion Reverb (or the new Rub a Dub Deluxe)
Chief Executive Officer in Charge of Burrito Redistribution at Hytone Electric

LaceSensor

These arent DIY buy I reckon I could just about live with

Dr Scientist The Elements
Strymon TimeLine
Digitech XP-1000

I just couldnt ever give up my space station, so cheating a bit Id get a 4-in-1 with the XP-1000 :P

If we had to go DIY, it would be some kinda distortion pedal with as many EQ options and extra toggles / boost as possible.
Then a really nice delay. Probably a multiplex with all the bells and whistles (added reverb too if I am allowed)
Then the last would be a Doppelganger. So much modulation covered in that pedal.

Willybomb

Are we cheating and saying that the "good amp" has an awesome dirty channel?

I just need a tuner, chorus, and maybe some delay for fun times.

midwayfair

I'm pretty sure I'd be just fine with the El Cap (I can has favorite switch?) and my Imperial. If I can bring more than one pedal, it's a volume pedal and a Bearhug comp in that order.

raulduke

I'd probably have a delay, tremolo and a fuzz of some sort. That would do me just fine.

Slight derail: How do you like the Toneking Imperial Jon?

Was looking at the Fender Princeton Reverb reissue, but the Imperial looks like a more versatile beast (more expensive mind).

Had my eye on one for a while but the only places that sell them are a long way away from me.

GermanCdn

Only three pedals, and keeping it DIY

My Fatcomp (Afterlife/Fatpants Combo)

My Cardinal #2 Trem

My Time Machine (MPjr/Tenebrion Combo)

Since I've got no overdrives in their, my amp of choice would be my Traynor YCV20, because I usually gravitate back to it, and my guitar would be my PRS 513, cause 9 of the settings are really good.
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Leevibe

Quote from: Willybomb on May 13, 2014, 12:07:09 PM
Are we cheating and saying that the "good amp" has an awesome dirty channel?

Ooh. That changes the whole game doesn't it? I suppose there won't be anyone there to bust you.

I forgot to mention, this is kind of a magical island where strings and frets never wear out and AC outlets are on the palm trees. And what's that over there? A fridge? Sorry, no soldering irons or workbenches.

And no smoke monsters or "others."

GermanCdn

What's the downside to the magical island, and when can I arrange my banishment to it, as I really, really need some time to finish the follow up to my 1999 debut album.
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.