News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Question about DIY tube amps/upgrading my blues deluxe?

Started by thesameage, May 15, 2014, 06:22:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thesameage

I know very little about tube amps, so I'm sure that some of you can help me out here!

I have a '93 Fender Blues deluxe which is a fine amp with some well documented, though not unsurmountable issues. I went in two days ago and resoldered some cracked soldering around the tube sockets. That solved a noise issue, but now something else is on the fritz--dirty channel goes on and off when you have it on. The problem is really that the amp is a bunch of brittle pcb garbage on the inside. I'm fine to keep fixing it, but it's just going to keep breaking.

Here's my question: What would I need to do to just replace the PCB part? Could I essentially keep the cab/speaker/transformer etc. and just get some kind of point to point amp to "pop in" instead of the brittle PCB stuff?

I have no idea what is involved with this and even if it would be a good idea when time/expense is taken into account.

Any guidance/advice would be appreciated.

jtn191

How is the dirty channel switched? Push button/foot switch? I'd check there, maybe resolder or fix whatever's wrong.

It's hard to beat the price and features on those amps but turretboard is supposed to be more reliable and easy to service

oldhousescott

It certainly can be done, and the cab, chassis, and iron are usually the most expensive part of a build, so you shouldn't be out of pocket too much for the conversion parts. You will need to decide what kind of amp you want it to be patterned after -- BF Fender, Plexi, 2203, Vox top-boost, etc. I would stick with non-channel-switching designs for simplicity's sake. You can do a channel switcher, but it gets a lot more complicated. Also decide if you want or need an effects loop and/or reverb. The guys at the Hoffman Amp Forum are very helpful, and this kind of thing is right up their alley. You might consider registering and posting your request there. Even if you don't want to go to the trouble, at least look at the schematics section of the forum for some ideas for designs and layouts. Good luck!

thesameage

When you engage the dirty channel (push button), it plays fine for a little while and then just switches back to the clean channel with some volume drop. If I "just" played clean, it was fine. I have seen this mentioned as a common issue, so I'm not worried about fixing it. The amp itself just seems like something that will keep needing fixes like this.

thesameage

Quote from: thesameage on May 15, 2014, 07:04:38 AM
When you engage the dirty channel (push button), it plays fine for a little while and then just switches back to the clean channel with some volume drop. If I "just" played clean, it was fine. I have seen this mentioned as a common issue, so I'm not worried about fixing it. The amp itself just seems like something that will keep needing fixes like this.

Thanks! I'm not sure what I want to do, but thought I'd poke around. I'll post over there and see what they have to say.

oldhousescott

I meant to add, obviously you're going to want to stick with a pair of 6L6s for the output tubes, but you have a good deal of latitude in the preamp design.

rullywowr

I have a early 90's Blues Deluxe and it has "blown up" many times.  Some of the issues and fixes:

- Relay (for channel switching) died, replaced relay and diodes
- Screen grid resistors melted the PCB.  Upgraded resistors to higher wattage and floated them off the PCB with silicone
- Input jacks broke numerous times.  Upgraded to Switchcraft
- Cold solder joints (reflowed all joints)

I do like the sound of the BD, just not the overdrive channel much.  I have upgraded the speaker to a Cannabis Rex and changed the tubes many times.

As far as replacing the main PCB with a turret board - it has been done.  You should be able to save the transformers, however if you are going to that much effort you might as well upgrade them to Mercury Magnetics or similar.  In addition, you may find it difficult to reuse the face plate and reverb.  This is basically what has stopped me from doing this. I think I would be better off just building an entire amp from scratch rather than just trying to save the transformers and a few residual parts.

The amp is doing OK now, and is certainly a lot more reliable than stock.  Great clean sounds, and takes pedals very well.  It has sentimental value to me and I really dig it for its simplicity and toan.  There was a site by "Justin Holton" which contained a lot of useful info.  The site has since vanished into the ether, but if you use the "Wayback Machine" you can pull up some archives of the content including mods, common issues & fixes.

Rock on.   8)

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

thesameage

Nice response! I'll definitely be hitting you up for some advice.

Sounds like I should just deal with it as is and do a few upgrades. Have you had the issue where the drive channel switches on and off? Is that the relay that you fixed?

Last night, while on the drive channel, it suddenly had a volume drop and then went to clean. Did this a few times. I just left it on clean after that and it was all good.

thesameage

Also, did your reverb blow up at some point? Did you bother fixing it?

selfdestroyer

I have to ask, is this amp worth all the trouble? Sounds like a bunch of madness.

Cody

thesameage

Ha ha... no.

I bought it when I was 19 and I wouldn't feel good about selling to anyone knowing what I know. Spending a few bux here and there and getting some experience is a lot cheaper than buying a whole new amp.

Though if I had to do it again, I'd choose something else. It sounds pretty good, but it's not worth the trouble.

selfdestroyer

Quote from: thesameage on May 15, 2014, 12:24:54 PM
Ha ha... no.

I bought it when I was 19 and I wouldn't feel good about selling to anyone knowing what I know. Spending a few bux here and there and getting some experience is a lot cheaper than buying a whole new amp.

Though if I had to do it again, I'd choose something else. It sounds pretty good, but it's not worth the trouble.

Makes sense. I have had a car that was like that. lol

Cody