News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Power supply filtering for vintage pedal.

Started by Kinki fuzz, May 16, 2014, 09:00:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kinki fuzz

Well, maybe not very vintage, but whatever. I got a Colorsound wah (sweeeet sound) that had only battery option. I drilled an added jack for external 9v supply. With some power supplies I get an annoying  "wweeeeeeeee" in a certain pedal position.
I realized the pedal has no power filtering (as it was only intended for batteries), so I thought I could add a little board with a filter.
Does that make sense?

I think a 100u electrolytic cap and maybe a polarity protection diode. Enough? Or should I add something extra?

Thanks guys!

Enviado desde mi HTC One SV mediante Tapatalk

rullywowr

Try a 100u and 100n across the power supply.  You are on the right track. Nice pedal dude.

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

Kinki fuzz

I will!,
Whats the 100n for?
Thanks!

Enviado desde mi HTC One SV mediante Tapatalk

midwayfair

Quote from: Kinki fuzz on May 16, 2014, 01:42:35 PM
Whats the 100n for?

Polyfilm capacitors are better at filtering high frequencies than electrolytic capacitors. It's best to use a mix of capacitor types for filtering in some cases.

davent

Also put a small resistor in series before the caps, 100r is usual for low current demand circuits.

This from Beavis Audio

More info here. http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=80063.msg661860#msg661860
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

Kinki fuzz

You rule dudes, thanks!! Now I know what to do.... and also why and how it works.
Rad.

Enviado desde mi HP Slate 7 mediante Tapatalk

davent

Should add, take power for your LED from before the 100r resistor as  a power hungry LED could cause a drop of a couple volts across the resisitor and you don't want that.
dave
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

Kinki fuzz

No led for this one, but good to know!

Enviado desde mi HP Slate 7 mediante Tapatalk