News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

mangler 2014 was working, redid with 3pdt board, now it doesn't work

Started by dont-tase-me-bro, May 16, 2014, 01:28:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

m-Kresol

Quote from: Bret608 on May 16, 2014, 02:57:06 PM
The main thing I can see going on is that you've used the wrong lug for the red wire on your dc jack. It needs to be moved to the one that's currently empty. The one you used is where the red lead of a battery clip would attach.

I hope this helps!

Yes, this is absolutely right. You haven't got any power on your board.

Nevertheless, I want to go back to the diode questions from before as well. As far as I can tell from your pics, you hooked up the LED pad on the PCB to the round pad (negative) on the 3PDT board. If this is the case, all your power should directly go through the CLR and then to ground. So fixing the 9V input problem alone won't fix your problem completely, I pressume.
How did you solder your LED then? The way I see it, you can either just leave the LED pad on the PCB and use the pads on the 3PDT board with the CLR on there, or hook up the LED pad to the + lead of the LED and the - lead of the LED then to the ROUND pad on the 3PDT board.
Hope you can fix your problems, cheers
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

Bret608

You bet, Josh. I'm guessing little or no voltage making it to the circuit? Strangely enough, I haven't yet made that particular mistake myself as of yet!  ;)

I hope this gets things up and running for you! I once built a chorus that was really noisy in bypass (and not much better engaged). Switching to one of Josh's 3PDT boards was the perfect fix.

Bret608

Sorry Felix, I didn't see your reply until just now. Wow! I did not know hooking the LED up that way would just send all the power to ground. I guess I learned something from this thread too.

dont-tase-me-bro

Flipped the wire on the DC jack - IT WORKS

I can't thank you guys enough.  I thought you could use either positive terminal.  It took longer to set up all my soldering gear, than it did to fix the thing.  And the LED works too, and the hum is gone.

Those 1776 boards are nice and make the 3PDT super easy, although, you all already know that.

In conclusion, thank you again.  My blood pressure is back to normal, I will sleep tonight, and am no longer angry at inanimate objects.   

Pat
I thought this would save me money.

m-Kresol

Congrats!

Quote from: Bret608 on May 16, 2014, 04:47:00 PM
Sorry Felix, I didn't see your reply until just now. Wow! I did not know hooking the LED up that way would just send all the power to ground. I guess I learned something from this thread too.

Actually, I was just guessing and making assumptions here mostly since I couldn't see the LED itself on any of the pictures. What I thought to see was a direct wire connecting the LED pad with the ground pad on the 3PDT board thus shorting the power supply. But since the LED has to be somewhere (I hope in between those pads ;)) then there's no problem
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

Bret608

Congratulations indeed! Really glad you are happy with it. Glad we were able to help you and that the LED is working too. I may have to come back and look at this again if I ever use a 1776 3PDT board on a build that has LED circuitry on the main PCB.