News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Solid vs Stranded?

Started by catfud, May 18, 2014, 09:18:53 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

catfud

Sorry if this has been covered in previous threads (my searches drew a blank) but is there a strong reason not to use solid-core cable when wiring up pedals? Are they more prone to breakage than stranded?

Leevibe

That is the drawback, but it strips easy and you can do precise bends with it. A lot of people here, myself included, like to use pre-bonded wire. It's stranded but the whole wire has been pre-tinned, so no stray wire whiskers and it holds it's shape really well.

I'm a big fan of the Small Bear 24ga pre-bond. In fact, I think it's the perfect stuff for pedals.

Vallhagen

I can ask here as well as anywhere else.

I feel like buying some of those pre-bonded wires, but as i am in sweden/europe, Smallbear (and also "Barrys best hookup wires" from guitarPCB) has a crazily high shipping cost. Is there any supplier in Europe that carry something similar?

Cheers
Yes i still have Blüe Monster pcb-s for sale!

...and checkout: https://moodysounds.se/

muddyfox

If you find it please let me know... I've been looking all over but no dice. In the end I just order from Barry and cry myself to sleep.

Leevibe

SB has it in 1000' spools. Maybe it would be worth it to do a group buy of a few spools to get it across the pond and then divvy it up.

muddyfox

Yeah, whoever has the lowest customs duties needs to make a calculation... My Customs office post traumatic stress disorder is still rampant
*twitch*

sent from my mobile device

icecycle66

I've always used solid core.
In the beginning I just used whatever Radio Shack had and didn't know there was a downside to it.

Supposedly it breaks easier, but I've never had any issues with that.  I sometimes have to take the circuit in and out of the box a bunch of times and the solid wire never caused me any trouble.

Meanwhile, the few times I used stranded it was a pain in the butt.  Little strand getting everywhere after trimming the wire; frayed ends causing shorts, harder to deal with when having to resolder a few times.

alanp

If you use non-bonded stranded wire, and do not tin it, expect that to happen.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

Leevibe

Quote from: alanp on May 18, 2014, 07:36:55 PM
If you use non-bonded stranded wire, and do not tin it, expect that to happen.

Definitely always tin stranded. It's worth the extra bit of effort.

muddyfox

OK so just for fun *twitch* I put a 1k spool in my smallbear shopping cart. If the shipping calculation is accurate it's $60 for the wire, $55 shipping and in my experience roughly 50% customs duties (and there's no way in Hades to avoid that, with it being a 1000ft spool). So that's roughly 130E for us EU folk, or 0,5E per meter.
Now to compound the calculation error, 1000ft spool weighs 2lbs8oz as stated on smallbear, so roughly a kilo. So for example, let's take say 100ft which would be 13E. Add to that EU shipping which is (I'm guessing here but I can't be too far off, given the criminal nature of my local post office) something in the neighbourhood of 5E (EDIT: 10E for a 250g package, as per the online calculator) for 100ft (30m) and we're talking (by now VERY roughly) something like 18-23E shipped from me to an EU address.
Now, how much does a 100ft of wire cost shipped from Barry to me (that is, probably any other place in EU)? According to his store $20 (discounted now, normally $22,5) for wire, $18,55 shipping, that's $38,45 all together. That's something like 28E if the package doesn't get stuck in customs (ha!fat chance!). Add to that the regular 50% duties and there you go, 40E!
So yeah... bulk would come out roughly half the price. I would probably find the time and the energy to reship to all the interested parties but right now I have no way of financing such a groupbuy. Remember, I live in the backwash of EU and we're barely making ends meet here. And that's 130E per color! I'd need to get at least a couple of colors I'm guessing, as people have their favorites...

Can we have a show of hands how many EU folk would be interested in the Smallbear prebonded wire and how much of it?

catfud

Quote from: muddyfox on May 18, 2014, 08:48:12 PM
Can we have a show of hands how many EU folk would be interested in the Smallbear prebonded wire and how much of it?

I would, for about 100ft.

I find it difficult to believe that none of the suppliers in the EU sell the prebonded cable.

muddyfox

Well like I said, i'd love to be proven wrong on this but I've never seen it anywhere.

sent from my mobile device

muddyfox

Given the overwhelming response to a groupbuy, I don't think it's gonna happen...  ;D
Too bad, I could use some wire soon.

Vallhagen

Well, IF it will happen, i can be interested. If so, i want five colors; black, red and (say) yellow, grey, green. Until then, i will stay with my solid core wire, it works pretty well too.
Yes i still have Blüe Monster pcb-s for sale!

...and checkout: https://moodysounds.se/

micromegas

I could do some meters of black/red/purple wire too. In the meantime, I could ask my supplier in Europe for prebonded wire to see if it is posible to order some (and economic..)
'My favorite programming language is solder' - Bob Pease

Software Developer @ bela.io