News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Fire Fly Amp Build

Started by sonarchotic, May 20, 2014, 05:45:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sonarchotic

It's a Fire Fly. Stock build of the version 4 board. Cabinet is pine stained and waxed. Already traded for an Orange Tiny Terror which I love but is marked for another trade once I get a cab built for it. Any one in the market for a Mesa Boogie Nomad 45 combo? I'm looking for more amp building money!

selfdestroyer

Crazy detail. I love the dovetail work on the cabinet and the stain looks perfect. Great job. I am just getting a bit involved with a few cab builds myself. Picking up a router and dovetail rig this weekend. Can't wait to get started.

sonarchotic

Thanks Cody. Like you, I had a few builds lined up so I went ahead and got the Porter Cable jig. Once you get it dialed in it makes it pretty easy. I'd say the jig and an orbital sander and your set.

micromegas

'My favorite programming language is solder' - Bob Pease

Software Developer @ bela.io

Leevibe

Nice job! Beautiful joints and the handle looks great on there. What did you use for a chassis?

m-Kresol

I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

selfdestroyer

Quote from: sonarchotic on May 21, 2014, 04:19:55 AM
Thanks Cody. Like you, I had a few builds lined up so I went ahead and got the Porter Cable jig. Once you get it dialed in it makes it pretty easy. I'd say the jig and an orbital sander and your set.

Thanks for the info. I will definitely go that route also.

Cody

sonarchotic

Thanks guys. Hope to get another amp build going soon!
Quote from: Leevibe on May 21, 2014, 06:12:58 AM
Nice job! Beautiful joints and the handle looks great on there. What did you use for a chassis?
Hammond 1444-16 10"x6"x2" http://angela.com/hammondaluminum10x6x2chassis1444-16.aspx
I can't remember if Mouser had it cheaper or not.

mah62

Love this, beautiful workmanship! Mmmm, amp building? Yet another thing on my to do list :P

Mark

gtr2

1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

juansolo

Love the stained look of that. Always wanted a LP in that sort of finish.
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

richard_mcg

That is an absolute work of art! Beautiful!  :) :)

pickdropper

That looks great.  I like the finger joints.

Now the real question: How does it sound?  I have a PCB here but haven't built it up yet.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

sonarchotic

Thanks guys.
Quote from: pickdropper on May 22, 2014, 04:10:36 PM
That looks great.  I like the finger joints.

Now the real question: How does it sound?  I have a PCB here but haven't built it up yet.
The guy I traded it to loves it and wants me to build a cab to match. There, I think, is the key. Finding a good speaker match for a 1 watt head. I used it with my 12" with tweeter cheapo bench cab and felt like I was working the amp too hard. With a nice 8" or 10" low power speaker I think you could have a great sounding little bedroom amp. With humbuckers you break up before a quarter turn on the volume/gain but with single coils you have more head room. The boost switch which seems to kick in the second half of your first 12ax7 is cool and good for getting some different sounds. It's an easy build and if you have a 'need' for this kind of thing it's worth doing. I'm open to anyone's recommendations on a speaker pairing for this head.