News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

ThinkGeek Nixie Thermometer

Started by juansolo, May 21, 2014, 06:33:59 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

juansolo

This one is a disappointment in all honesty. The instructions are vague at times and just plain crap at others. The IR control is just a mess, why it couldn't just have a button on there is beyond me. Indeed all the operational issues are caused by the IR system in conjunction with some seemingly random coding.

As far as I can tell, it works as designed out of the box. In the box it constantly changed programs due to IR reflections on the lid. I ended up trepanning the lid which stops it happening. I've tried to do it as neatly as possible, but yeah, there's a hole to let the demons out. Waving your hand over it now seems to change function/turn it off/turn it on again in a very random way, but again, this appears to be how it works... However it does seem to randomly change function every few minutes or so and turn itself off. Waving your hand over it wakes it up again in another random mode. I'm guessing these are reflections still being caught causing the mode to change.

Not one I can recommend sadly.

Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

culturejam

Bummer to hear it wasn't a good kit. But it looks pretty cool!

I've been wanting to do a nixie clock for a long time. Which kit would you recommend? I'm in the market for something less expensive, as usual. Thanks
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

m-Kresol

Quote from: culturejam on May 21, 2014, 07:53:35 PM

I've been wanting to do a nixie clock for a long time. Which kit would you recommend? I'm in the market for something less expensive, as usual. Thanks
+1

But for what it's worth, it looks good anyways.
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

GrindCustoms

Shame to hear that feedback, knowing that you where all pump'd for that project.... :-\

Looks great tho! ;D
Killing Unicorns, day after day...

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/

juansolo

Quote from: culturejam on May 21, 2014, 07:53:35 PM

PV Electronics. They seem to be the daddy when it comes to Nixie clocks. Both that I've done have been totally spot on. Lots of the custom stuff on the net has his boards/code running underneath. Pricey... But then most of that is the tubes.

Looking at stuff from Nixiekits in Germany for the next project. Probably will do their thermometer (this one I'd been sent to build for a friend) and take it from there. Liking the 5 band VU meter...
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk