News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

waaaay off topic (Star Wars content)

Started by Leevibe, May 21, 2014, 11:03:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Leevibe

My son showed me this video this morning. I'm sorry, but I didn't hear anything JJ said after 00:25. That looks so good! We're trusting you JJ, don't screw this up!

juansolo

Hmmm, history doesn't bode well for remakes/re-imaginings/sequels/prequels/special editions of classic sci-fi.

Lucas f**ked the original trilogy over himself with his endless tinkering, then shat on them from a great height with the travesty that was the prequels. Abrams turned Star Trek into a brainless lens flare fest, and when he ran out of ideas (that didn't make sense anyhow) attempted to remake the greatest Star Trek film... Ambitious, and utterly futile.

Then we've got the others... Hollywood turning the hard R Robocop into a kid friendly action film. Missing all the satire and cleverness that made the original so awesome. Ridley Scott himself deciding to use the completely directionless Lindelhof to write the prequel to the greatest Sci-Fi monster movie of all time. A film that looks beautiful (Ridley Scott through and through) but makes so little sense and answers none of the questions it poses (Lost anyone?).

Any re-make of a classic (In the Mouth of Madness and earlier) John Carpenter film. The only exception being the Thing (which was ironically a remake itself) that they actually did a pretty decent job on. Not a patch on the original and the pure CGI alien parts jarred badly. But still, not bad.

Should we mention the Crystal Skull...?

No my prediction for this latest attempt to cash in on our childhood's is that it'll be utter bollocks. Completely missing the fact that the audience for this film has grown up. Then again I suspect they're going for the younger audiences that they believe are brainless morons with very short attention spans. Explosion! Pretty! Awesome! It's a bit sad really.

Bah!  >:(
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

raulduke

The prequels are turds.

I loved the originals as a kid, but I feel like Lucas p*ssed on my childhood with his later endeavors with the franchise.

However, I think there may at last be a glimmer of hope with these.

JJ Abrams makes films that are usually entertaining.

midwayfair

Quote from: juansolo on May 22, 2014, 01:26:56 AM

Every once in a while I see people mention this film. I thought it ended up not getting made?

Your second paragraph was awesome, by the way.

Leevibe

You could be right John. I just want it to feel like a Star Wars movie. Lucas doesn't seem to know what that essence is that made the original three so special. I'm hoping that a guy who remembers what it felt like to experience those as a kid might get it. I like his take on Star Trek but I'm in no way a Trekkie. Anyway, my hopes are up.

flanagan0718

I don't know why everyone likes JJ. He tends to either dumb down or over complicate and ruin every story line he touches. Star Trek, Fringe, and Lost are just a few. I just looked at his IMDB page to see what else he wrecked and it turns out he announced 2 stories he is going to soon destroy as well. Half-Life and Portal. Two of my favorite video games...great. I can now look forward to never understanding those again too.
     Now George Lukas on the other hand hasn't done anything note worthy since The Last Crusade and The Land Before Time (<- my favorite movie from when I was a kid). He has a constant stream of piss trickling down on the Star Wars story and Indiana Jones will never be the same after the "Kingdom of the Cryatal Bullsh*t". Put a fork in it, They are both done! IJ5 was announced too, Depressing just depressing.
Ridley Scott himself deciding that using the completely directionless Lindelhof to write the prequel to the greatest Sci-Fi monster movie of all time. A film that looks beautiful (Ridley Scott through and through) but makes so little sense and answers none of the questions it poses (Lost anyone?).

Any re-make of a classic (In the Mouth of Madness and earlier) John Carpenter film. The only exception being the Thing (which was ironically a remake itself) that they actually did a pretty decent job on. Not a patch on the original and the pure CGI alien parts jarred badly. But still, not bad.

I don't really agree with you hear, I kind of liked Promethius. It was a bit directionless but i thought it was a decent film. As for The Thing, you nailed it. I loved the new one! The adaptation from the 80's was good but what most fail to realize it that Carpenter's (the one from the 80's) is a remake, NOT a sequel. I digress
     For the Star Wars movies (new ones) they should have just had M. NIGHT SHAMMALAMMADINGDONG do them. It's easier to swallow a SH#T sandwich from him. Just my 2 cents.

Clayford

Quote from: midwayfair on May 22, 2014, 05:31:28 AM

Every once in a while I see people mention this film. I thought it ended up not getting made?

Sadly it was actually made.
http://www.amazon.com/Indiana-Jones-Kingdom-Crystal-Skull/dp/B001M6KTLG/
head solder jockey, part time cook: cranky&jaded

midwayfair

Quote from: Clayford on May 22, 2014, 06:11:38 AM
Quote from: midwayfair on May 22, 2014, 05:31:28 AM

Sadly it was actually made.
http://www.amazon.com/Indiana-Jones-Kingdom-Crystal-Skull/dp/B001M6KTLG/

LALALALA I CAN'T HEAR YOU.

juansolo

Seriously Jon, just don't. You think Lucas ruined Star Wars... Not a patch on what he did to Indy in that travesty.

It's where the expression 'nuking the fridge' (similar to the Happy Days 'jumping the shark') came from.

GermanCdn

We're 10 posts into a Star Wars thread and Jacob hasn't posted yet.  We should probably have someone go check on his house to make sure he's OK...... :P.

While I have no skin in the game as the last time I watched anything Star Wars related was when they were first in theatres in the 80s (Ewoks were awesome when you're eight), always a little concerned about JJ's ability to continue something good.  He seems to start out OK (i.e. first season of Alias or Lost), then tank it something fierce when it becomes popular (second/fourth season of Alias, every other season of Lost, still think he wrote the Dexter finale cause it stunk that bad).
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

Leevibe

Did anybody else think the ostrich dude was cool? At least it was good CG. And not a gungan.

juansolo

Looked like a man in a suit to me, which is high praise indeed if it was actually CGI!

Govmnt_Lacky

Quote from: GermanCdn on May 22, 2014, 09:20:08 AM
He seems to start out OK (i.e. first season of Alias or Lost), then tank it something fierce when it becomes popular (second/fourth season of Alias, every other season of Lost, still think he wrote the Dexter finale cause it stunk that bad).

100% agree with the Lost finale! Total disappointment  :-\

Have to say I disagree with the Dexter finale though. You can definitely tell they left it open for movie potential  8)

jkokura

JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

midwayfair

Quote from: juansolo on May 22, 2014, 09:04:14 AM
Seriously Jon, just don't. You think Lucas ruined Star Wars... Not a patch on what he did to Indy in that travesty.

It's where the expression 'nuking the fridge' (similar to the Happy Days 'jumping the shark') came from.

Actually, we saw it in the theater (the Senator) on opening weekend. I just like to pretend it never happened. I can remember bits of it if I think hard, but I just really couldn't believe how awful it was.