News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Tayda potentiometers?

Started by jalmonsalmon, May 22, 2014, 06:52:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jalmonsalmon

Is it me or does anyone notice that the Tayda pots get scratchy fast? I have ordered pots from Tayda and am not really liking them as much as the ones I get from Sm Bear or Mouser... :-\   Maybe I got a bad batch from Tayda
Information is not knowledge
Knowledge is not wisdom
Wisdom is not truth
Truth is not beauty
Beauty is not love
Love is not music
Music is THE BEST . .

selfdestroyer

Quote from: jalmonsalmon on May 22, 2014, 06:52:24 PM
Is it me or does anyone notice that the Tayda pots get scratchy fast? I have ordered pots from Tayda and am not really liking them as much as the ones I get from Sm Bear or Mouser... :-\   Maybe I got a bad batch from Tayda

I have not had problems with mine but then again I'm not a huge knob twizzler. Most things are set and messed with in small increments over time.

Cody

culturejam

I've had great luck with their 9mm board-mount pots. Those all seem pretty solid.
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

rullywowr

Never a problem except a couple of times the whole PCB portion broke when I was trying to bend leads.

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

GermanCdn

Yeah, I haven't had any issues with them either, although they have been switching them up lately so you might have got an inbetween batch.
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

pickdropper

My main beef with Tayda's pots is that the shafts have variable ODs.  Some of them have the standard .25" shaft and others have .235."  I ran into some 9mm pots the other day with the smaller shaft and the knobs don't install on them properly; they wobble when turned.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

GermanCdn

Quote from: pickdropper on May 22, 2014, 08:36:33 PM
My main beef with Tayda's pots is that the shafts have variable ODs.  Some of them have the standard .25" shaft and others have .235."  I ran into some 9mm pots the other day with the smaller shaft and the knobs don't install on them properly; they wobble when turned.

Yeah, this has been bugging me a lot lately, they've also got different diameters on the threads on the solid shaft 16mm.  Not a big deal, except when you don't put the nuts on when they arrive, but rather throw them into the generic nut bin, and then have to fish through them to find the right ones.
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

peAk

Quote from: pickdropper on May 22, 2014, 08:36:33 PM

I have had this issue, as well as having a couple pots already being scratchy like the OP mentioned. My other issue is I have had a few that didn't turn as smooth as they should and even a few with indents when I didn't order them that way.

That being said, it's hard to complain when they are a cheap as they are. For my builds, I don't care that much. If I was making pedals for others, it could be an issue.

davent

Great.... was pretty much the last thing i still ordered from them... and the led's?

"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

juansolo

Out of 100's of Tayda pots we've maybe had two bad ones. Which isn't bad going considering that Alpha pots in general are cheap in comparison to Bournes and the like.
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

Jopn

Just a pet-peeve, we're talking about Alpha pots right?  Tayda sells us Alpha pots for a good price, just seems counter-intuitive to me to throw Tayda's name under the bus if Alpha has a QA issue.

mattlee0037

Idk I feel it's possible that they are so cheap because they are sold batches of pots not quite upto alphas quality control standards

pickdropper

Quote from: mattlee0037 on May 23, 2014, 04:15:33 PM
Idk I feel it's possible that they are so cheap because they are sold batches of pots not quite upto alphas quality control standards

This.  I've received many out of spec parts from Tayda that are name brands.  I suspect that offer to buy the QC rejects at a highly discounted price.

For the smaller shaft pots, I'd have no problem with them selling them if they only identified them as such; then I'd know to avoid them.

Either way, many of the issues encountered with poor quality components don't exist when parts are purchased from places like Mouser, Digikey or even smaller distributors such as Small Bear.  Tayda's niche is parts at dirt cheap prices but not necessarily high quality or even in spec parts.
Function f(x)

Jopn

If that's the case (which I'm pretty skeptical about), Alpha is shooting themselves in the foot by putting branded parts out into the market that don't meet their QA standards.

I just try to stay away from the stigma that buying an asian component from an asian company means that you get lower quality than buying that asian component from a north american company.

Quote from: pickdropper on May 23, 2014, 04:33:54 PM

This.  I've received many out of spec parts from Tayda that are name brands.  I suspect that offer to buy the QC rejects at a highly discounted price.

For the smaller shaft pots, I'd have no problem with them selling them if they only identified them as such; then I'd know to avoid them.

Either way, many of the issues encountered with poor quality components don't exist when parts are purchased from places like Mouser, Digikey or even smaller distributors such as Small Bear.  Tayda's niche is parts at dirt cheap prices but not necessarily high quality or even in spec parts.

pickdropper

Quote from: Jopn on May 23, 2014, 05:08:09 PM
If that's the case (which I'm pretty skeptical about), Alpha is shooting themselves in the foot by putting branded parts out into the market that don't meet their QA standards.

I just try to stay away from the stigma that buying an asian component from an asian company means that you get lower quality than buying that asian component from a north american company.

Quote from: pickdropper on May 23, 2014, 04:33:54 PM

There are plenty of high quality Asian vendors.  Tayda just isn't one of them.

Make no mistake, I still buy some things from them.  But I've run into many problems and there are some items I just won't buy from them again.  Every vendor has issues from time to time, but I've procured a lot of parts in my life (professionally and personally) and Tayda's rate of OOS parts (not just Alpha) is significantly higher than I've seen from anything outside of eBay.
Function f(x)