News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Road Rage Question

Started by mjcyates, April 13, 2011, 05:14:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mjcyates

So I am building my bass player an effects box. He is tired of the guitar players having all the fun so he wants to get in on the game. It is going to be three effects in one enclosure. It will be a compressor into a Faultline into a Pork Barrel. I want to use a Road Rage to up the juice for the Faultline. I am comfortable wiring up all three without the Road Rage, I just need a little help with how to incorporate it for the Faultline only. Any help would be appreciated.

jkokura

All three need power from the DC jack right? So you'd have all three attached to the power lug. Now just insert the Roadrage into the power line to the faultline! Bingo, it's done.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

mjcyates

Thanks that seems quite easy. So just so I am clear, the wire coming from the Faultline that I would normally send to the power lug of the DC jack is now going to go the the Road Rage pad labeled 18v? Then from which pad of the Road Rage to the power lug? Also there are two ground pads on the Road Rage, do I need to use them both? Thanks.

jkokura

What I would do is connect the ground wire and the power wire from the faultline to the Roadrage board, the power to the 18V like you mentioned, and the ground to either pad marked GND. Then I would connect the +9V pad at the very lower right to the DC Jack, and the other ground to any of your jacks. I would use the last +9V in to connect to my LED (don't forget the CLR in series). I would do that, because I don't know if the faultline has a CLR on the PCB or not, but I wouldn't use it because at 18V it may not be good for the LED. Also make SURE all your parts on the Faultline are rated for at LEAST 18V, better to be 25V or higher. This includes Caps, IC's, Transistors, and such. There should be no worries about the resistors or diodes you may use.

Jacob
JMK PCBs *New Website*

mjcyates

Perfect, Thank you very much Jacob, Marvin

mjcyates

I have this pedal put together now and everything seems to be working fine except the Pork Barrel. It works, however, there is drop in volume when engaged, and I don't seem to be able to get the same nice chorus sounds out of it like the Pork Barrel that I built previously. If I set the controls to just get a nice shimmery chorus sound, the effect is almost not noticeable. Anybody have any thoughts on what the issue might be? Could it be a bad chip?

stecykmi

pork barrel is a complicated circuit, there could be a lot of things wrong...

you'll have to trace it through, but check that the mn3101 is working correctly. Not sure what the best way to do that is without a scope, though.

Jimihendrix1987

Hi there ! I'm going to ask you a question about the road rage and i'm not going to open another topic for this, so i'm using this...

Ok let's go... I need 23v or 24v to power a tube pedal... If I power the road rage with 12v, will I get the 23v I need?... I suppose I won't need any regulator for this, won't I?

Thanks ;)

jkokura

yes, if you use a charge pump that can handle 12V in, and will give you 23V out.

Jacob
JMK PCBs *New Website*

Jimihendrix1987

Ok Jacob ! Thanks Man  ;D... But What about the Voltage Regulator, I don't need it for this simple doubling voltage operation, do I?

???

bigmufffuzzwizz

Quote from: jkokura on May 18, 2011, 04:15:38 PM
yes, if you use a charge pump that can handle 12V in, and will give you 23V out.

Jacob

Nice! I learn something everyday here!
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

jkokura

No, you don't need a regulator. The Road rage will work fine without one.

Jacob
JMK PCBs *New Website*

Jimihendrix1987

Thanks Jacob  ;)

I also learn something new here everyday ;)

Loztboy

Sorry for bringing up this old thread.
Where can I get a regulator for the Road Rage? partnumber at Smallbear?

If I'm only going to use it to feed my 9v positive ground fuzzface, what components shoult i leave out?
Should jumper something?

gtr2

You don't need a regulator to use it for -9v.  I don't have the time right now to look and see what you can omit but maybe someone else can chime in.
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer