Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Road Rage Question

Started by mjcyates, April 13, 2011, 10:14:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Haberdasher

Quote from: Loztboy on July 14, 2011, 04:05:17 AM
Sorry for bringing up this old thread.
Where can I get a regulator for the Road Rage? partnumber at Smallbear?

If I'm only going to use it to feed my 9v positive ground fuzzface, what components shoult i leave out?
Should jumper something?

Yeah, as long as your only feeding it 9v you should only get a yield of -9v, so no regulator would be necessary.  You shouldn't have to jumper anything.

I haven't breadboarded this in forever but if I'm looking at the schematic right, the power inversion portion of the road rage only involves pins 1, 3, and 5 of the charge pump.  In that case all you would really need would be D3 C3 and C5.

Could someone else please verify this?
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

bigmufffuzzwizz

Quote from: Haberdasher on July 14, 2011, 06:59:02 AM
I haven't breadboarded this in forever but if I'm looking at the schematic right, the power inversion portion of the road rage only involves pins 1, 3, and 5 of the charge pump.  In that case all you would really need would be D3 C3 and C5.

Could someone else please verify this?

Yes, that's correct.
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

Loztboy

Thanks, I will try to do a stripped down stripboard-version that fit inside my existing FuzzFace then.

bigmufffuzzwizz

Quote from: Loztboy on July 15, 2011, 03:16:05 AM
Thanks, I will try to do a stripped down stripboard-version that fit inside my existing FuzzFace then.

I was gonna suggest that. It would be really easy. If you need any help just ask  :)

Loztboy

ok, here we go, this is my first attempt to do a layout  :P :-[
Will this work, or is this a "fatal destruction unit".
"In" is from normal negative center psu/battery.
I used the part numbering from the RoadRage pdfhttp://www.madbeanpedals.com/projects/RoadRage/docs/RoadRage_ver.3.pdf

I want to integrate it to my fuzzface. Now I have battery on/off switch where the dc-plug will be.

gtr2

I didn't study it to close, I'm bad at vero layouts, but you need a 10 uF to connect between pin 2 and 4 on the IC.  (+ side to pin 2) You'll also need a jumper between pins 1 and 8.  Pin 8 needs 9v or you won't get -9v at pin 5 (Vout)

I think that's it... :)

Josh
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

Haberdasher

You know, I remembered I took a couple of photos of the breadboard when I set that up.  I just scrolled through a bunch of pics on my camera and found it.  Sure enough I had 3 electrolytic caps and I jumpered pins 1 and 8.  Good catch, Josh.
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

gtr2

Just don't put the cuts between pin 1 and 8 that will eliminate a jumper.  (cuts a5 and a6) I told you I'm bad following vero..lol

Josh
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

Loztboy

Thanks.
like this?

Do i have the polarity correct on all components?

bigmufffuzzwizz

Yes the polarity of and placement is correct. The only thing is you didn't leave holes for the ground connections! You could use a jumper wire to bring it to row E and cut trace between GND and c5 + lead.

Loztboy

I have never done a layout before, and i suck at reading schematics :)
Can you please be more specific?  :)

jtn191

I think you'd just need to put a jumper (a wire/straight line/snipped component lead...perhaps blue or black in your program) from c1 to e1. This would make everything connected to the green wire on the left and the yellow one on the right "GND"

I don't think a trace cut is needed, since the schem has C5+ going to GND...
(ps: you don't need 6 cuts under that IC, just 3.)

Here:

Loztboy

wouldn't that feed negative ground into positive ground?
That might be right, I'm just trying to learn and understand what I'm doing.

bigmufffuzzwizz

I made the same assumption. The schem does have the them connected via ground. Does anyone know about this?

jtn191

It follows Madbean's working schem and layout, I don't think it matters

see: http://www.diystompboxes.com/smfforum/index.php?topic=51529.0;wap2

RG:
QuoteThis is only confusing becase the terms negative ground and positive ground make you think that something is happening to ground. It's not. What changes is the polarity of the power supply. A positive ground power supply is the same as a negative voltage power supply, just called by a different name. A negative ground power supply is the same as a positive voltage power supply, just called by a different name. The words "positive ground" or "negative ground" just tell you which side of the battery is connected to your ground reference point.