News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Road Rage Question

Started by mjcyates, April 13, 2011, 05:14:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gtr2

Quote from: jtn191 on July 16, 2011, 09:56:53 PM
I think you'd just need to put a jumper (a wire/straight line/snipped component lead...perhaps blue or black in your program) from c1 to e1. This would make everything connected to the green wire on the left and the yellow one on the right "GND"

I don't think a trace cut is needed, since the schem has C5+ going to GND...
(ps: you don't need 6 cuts under that IC, just 3.)

Here:

There needs to be a ground wire from the power jack to c1.

Quote from: Loztboy on July 16, 2011, 10:12:02 PM
wouldn't that feed negative ground into positive ground?
That might be right, I'm just trying to learn and understand what I'm doing.

It's easy to get confused on this, but remember that what is labeled as ground on the output of your board is actually the positive.  It's just completing the circuit back to the power source.

Josh
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

Loztboy

Thanks everybody, this helps a lot.

bcalder

Hi guys, yet another RR question. My first post.

I'm going to use it to power a ROG Supreaux Deux (http://www.runoffgroove.com/sd.html). It will be the front end to a Tiny Giant amp-based combo I'm building (http://musicpcb.com/pcbs/tiny-giant-amp/). The TG can supply 11V, so rather than adding an extra 18V power supply into the amp, is there a way I can
instead use the extra 11V the Tiny Giant supplies to feed the Road Rage & get 18V out? Could I for instance use this regulator? http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/ON-Semiconductor/MC78L18ABPG/?qs=sGAEpiMZZMug9GoBKXZ752YXO9pvfwzmPm%2fAMlkbq%2fc%3d

Thanks in advance,
Bruce

shawnee

Welcome!

I don't see why you couldn't. Just make sure you use a TC1044 (the MAX1044 is not rated for that much input voltage) or maybe even a LT1054 (make sure pins 1 and 8 are not connected on the PCB if you want to use the LT1054). Any 78L18 regulator should work. (I would get the smaller TO-92 size like you selected). I have had a little trouble with noise when adding charge pump chips to circuits so I don't know if you will have any noise problems or not. If you build it, please let us know how it came out. I am interested in the Supreaux pedal too.

bcalder

Hey Shawnee, many thanks for the response & the answers I needed.

I'll definitely let you know how it goes - I'm excited about not only building a "budget Supro", but about the Supreaux Deux pedal itself. John Lyons at Basic Audio knocked out a pair of the PCBs for me at a nice price, so one will go in the amp & the other I'll make as a stompbox.

shawnee

I hear Zeppelin in your future.  ;D

bcalder

Hi all, I'm struggling towards the finish with this project (free time being what it is).

I've got the RR made. I'm using an LT1054 with pins 1 & 8 clipped off. The regulator is a 78L18.

To test it, I'm feeding it 9V, as the 11V feed isn't ready yet. I am connecting DC to the +9V & G1 connections.

I'm not clear where I should take my output from, but when I measure either at ~18V or +RV, I'm getting 7.9V

1) Where will I take the output from to feed the ROG pedal?
2) Am I getting 7.9V because I'm feeding it only 9V instead of 11V?

Thanks! 

jkokura

Your problem is because you clipped 1 and 8. You only need to clip/modify pin 1.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

bcalder

Ah, shoot. I was going by what Shawnee had said, but I should have just taken them out of the socket instead of clipping them off anyway like I did.

shawnee

Man I'm sorry. That was bad wording on my part. What I was trying to say was that the Road Rage pcb alread has pins 1 & 8 connected for use with the 1044 chip and you don't want them connected together if you use a LT1054. The best way to do that is use a second socket and pull pin 1 off of it. Then put the LT1054 in that socket. So what you have is a stack like this:
1. pcb
2. socket
3. socket with no pin 1
4. LT1054 chip.

Again, I am really sorry for the confusion.

bcalder

No worries at all, Shawnee - I'm learning a ton, & nothing's gone up in smoke yet.

I did finish the Supreaux Deux today FTM mounted in an enclosure until I finish the amp case. I'm using an 18V power supply for now. It's GREAT, the ROG guys captured a lot of what makes those amps special. 

shawnee

Awesome. I may have to build a Supreaux now. Thanks for not being mad about the chip. If I had known that you were using the 1054 for sure, I would have elaborated on the subject a little more.

bcalder

Hey all,
I finally finished my little practice amp project, which proudly includes a mighty RoadRage to power the Supreaux Deux front end at 18V. The build thread is here:

https://picasaweb.google.com/101724142776681014815/LittleBluesAmp?locked=true

Thanks to all for the help - and build yourself a Supreaux, Shawnee! :-)

jkokura

Broken link is broken.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals