News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Grapevine

Started by irmcdermott, May 28, 2010, 11:10:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

irmcdermott

Here is my Grapevine build, which is the next in my nerdy Avengers themed pedals, Iron Man,  ;D. This was my most challenging build yet. Fitting in all in the 1290NS wasn't easy and I think if i had the tiny bit of extra room that you get in the 1590 would have been helpful. I was very happy when I fired it up and it worked! It sounds great. I had to put the board in with the traces facing the bottom plate, so I used some spray adhesive and lined the bottom plate with some overhead transparency to keep it from shorting. I took a risk and attempted a two tone paint job on this one, and while not perfect, i'm very happy with it! Anyway, here are some pictures!

CapnCrunch

Cool looking build.  It would have been awesome if the LED had gone in the center of Iron Man's chest.  Is there a tutorial somewhere on how to paint enclosures?  You do a really good job with yours.  They look professional all the way.

madbean

Awesome work, Ian!

Where did you get the brownish PCB material, if you don't mind my asking? Or, is that just the lighting?

irmcdermott

Quote from: CapnCrunch on May 29, 2010, 12:03:35 AM
Cool looking build.  It would have been awesome if the LED had gone in the center of Iron Man's chest.  Is there a tutorial somewhere on how to paint enclosures?  You do a really good job with yours.  They look professional all the way.

thanks. yeah, i realized after the fact that I should have lined the graphic up to be on his chest and then gotten a yellow or white LED. the only tutorial i've ever really used is Beavis' http://beavisaudio.com/techpages/boxinaday.html. I grabbed a toaster oven for like $3 at goodwill. to do the two colors i sprayed the top white with 2 coats and once it was dry i covered it with blue painters tape, then took my razor and cut off the excess around the top, then i sprayed the red around the sides and let it dry on its own. i didn't want to put it in the oven with the blue tape on it.

for the graphic, i used frequencycentral's tutorial over at FSB http://freestompboxes.org/viewtopic.php?f=47&t=6145&start=0&hilit=enclosure+tutorial, except i apply the graphic with some 3M 77 Spray Adhesive instead of clear coat because I haven't had much luck doing it that way, can't ever figure out how much to spray on before applying the graphic and they never looked great. Once the adhesive dries, I put on however many coats of clear coat it takes so that there is no difference between the enclosure and the height of the graphic. When putting the clear coat on, I don't put it in the oven so I don't ruin the graphic.

Quote from: madbean on May 29, 2010, 02:49:12 AM
Awesome work, Ian!

Where did you get the brownish PCB material, if you don't mind my asking? Or, is that just the lighting?

Thanks Brian! Thanks for putting up these layouts! For the PCB material, that might just be the lighting. The PCB material that I used is just the standard stuff you get at Radio Shack.

CapnCrunch

Thanks for the links.  I'm going to check them out ;D