News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Acoustic Guitar

Started by gtr2, January 09, 2013, 07:43:38 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

TNblueshawk

I've always thought that whether a guitar speaks to you or not is as random as one's taste in music. If it hits you right then great, if not then oh well something out there will.

My Taylor sounds great but then I really haven't compared it to a ton of guitars either. But perception is reality and me likes mine. Sound better than my Washburn for sure but then someone else might like the Washburn sound better.

But, I'm just a hack so I really don't have expertise in all honesty. I do know the smaller the body I feel like I can control my playing better and in turn I perceive I actually play better. I still suck, but suck better  :P
John

gtr2

I always appreciate your honesty John :) and your point is spot on.

Looks also influence how we perceive sound.
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

gtr2

So..while I don't have the funds yet.  I've been doing some hands on "window shopping".

It seems I prefer the neck radius on Taylors.  Nothing really blew me away sound wise except I liked the one with the cedar top.  My takamine has a cedar top as well  :D

I may look into the Taylor T5 line.  It's a deviation from what I originally wanted but it would be really convenient for playing at church.

Josh
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

aballen

I'm a huge Martin fan.  .  The factory is pretty close to where I live.  I know Taylor's are quite popular, but they kind if fall flat to me.  Personally I think martins are so well balanced, I just love the tone.  My dreadnought can fill a room with great sound. The omc aura is great too . 

If you want a Taylor style body check out Martins performance artist series.  Smaller like a Taylor with a cutaway but the sound is pure Martin.

stevie1556

I really like Ibanez electro-acoustics. Played a few in shops, and they do play really nicely. My stepdad has a Tanglewood electro-acoustic which is very nice to play.

Sent from my thumbs using Tapatalk!

jimilee

Quote from: TNblueshawk on January 11, 2013, 01:54:59 PM
I've always thought that whether a guitar speaks to you or not is as random as one's taste in music. If it hits you right then great, if not then oh well something out there will.

My Taylor sounds great but then I really haven't compared it to a ton of guitars either. But perception is reality and me likes mine. Sound better than my Washburn for sure but then someone else might like the Washburn sound better.

But, I'm just a hack so I really don't have expertise in all honesty. I do know the smaller the body I feel like I can control my playing better and in turn I perceive I actually play better. I still suck, but suck better  :P
I think you're right,and to that extent. My brother went to a Guitar store and played 3 taylors same make and model and got a different sound / feel out of each. Wood is a funny animal for sure.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

gtr2

I ended up buying a Martin GPCPA4.  It did pain me to see some of my sold off gear go, but I really like the guitar ALOT.  And I didn't have to sell any tape echoes or delays!!!  It's not what I set out buying, but it choose me I guess.  The body is a hair larger than I was set on, but the sound is really nice.  Plays great out of the box too.  Literally... I watched it come out of the Martin box at the store.

I tried Taylors, Martins, Gibsons, Yamahas, and a few others but this is the guitar I came back to.

No buyers remorse.

Josh
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

jkokura

Sweet!

Uh... where's the gut shot?

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

aballen

Quote from: gtr2 on February 08, 2013, 09:11:49 AM
I ended up buying a Martin

Awesome man.  Keep it humidified and it will sound great forever :D

gtr2

1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

patrickbrose

I had checked those out the first year they came out (same year I got my Taylor) and the thing that put me off was the plywood neck. It was some 30+ thin strips running the length of the neck that were glued together.
See Pic:

Martin called it more stable than a solid neck, but I hated it. I seem to remember hearing that they abandoned those necks and are back to using solid wood. Is yours solid or ply?
-P

gtr2

Solid.  I played one of the other models with the laminate neck.  It played fine but I wanted all wood construction.
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

aballen

The still do the HPL necks.  They play faster than the solid necks imho. Mine are both solid too though.  I really prefer solid wood.... Rosewood and hog.

Jacob, you have to come over for the Martin owners event this year.  It's a good time.

mandrewbot3k

beautiful guitar josh. congrats.
Andrew

(Formerly roflcopter)