News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

The Enchanter (pickdropper Timmy pcb)

Started by wgc, May 31, 2014, 09:55:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

wgc

Hi all

This one took a while to get to, I kept forgetting to order the dip switch.  Anyway, here's a 1590a build with pickdropper's timmy pcb, in smd.  Easy build, sounds great!  Awesome job by Dave on the layout, the dip switch is really cool.

The worst part was finding room for the wires to pots, I couldn't (easily) get the pots board mounted in a 1590a since the jacks have nowhere else to go.  PCB mounted pots would be easily doable in a bigger box though.

Powdercoat by me, illusion amber over black.  Fairy graphic is laser etched google clip art, picked primarily because my little girls are into fairies and I thought it worked with the name and color.  Not sure I like the knobs since the color shifts to green with the angle, will probably swap out with aluminum in the near future.

Thanks Dave;  Thanks for looking, everyone else!
always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.
e.e. cummings

pickdropper

Very nice.

Those little diodes are fun, aren't they?
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

wgc

Thanks Dave!  actually the diodes weren't too bad, it was hard to see the stripe on this batch, but not bad.  I'd probably oversize the pads a bit to make it easier for new smd champions ;D, but otherwise, great layout!
e.e. cummings

micromegas

I love the 3D relief the etching gave this one. Quite magic :)
'My favorite programming language is solder' - Bob Pease

Software Developer @ bela.io

wgc

Thx man!  I like it too, hard to get good pix, much more alive in person
e.e. cummings

rullywowr

Looks awesome!  MELF diodes = Most Endup Lying on Floor

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

wgc

True!  Melf pads should have a little notch halfway across them to help keep them in place, at least in production with solder paste and all, but I haven't seen this used in DIY builder libraries yet.  Also haven't looked very hard though!

The parts I like least are probably the metal can electrolytics with plastic bases and just a nubbin of lead sticking out and pads completely under the part.
e.e. cummings

pickdropper

Quote from: wgc on June 01, 2014, 06:00:43 AM
True!  Melf pads should have a little notch halfway across them to help keep them in place, at least in production with solder paste and all, but I haven't seen this used in DIY builder libraries yet.  Also haven't looked very hard though!

The parts I like least are probably the metal can electrolytics with plastic bases and just a nubbin of lead sticking out and pads completely under the part.

Yeah, I'm not a fan of metal can electrolytics in general on SMT builds.  Unless it's not practical, I always use Tantalum or Ceramic in their place.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

wgc

I got some because they were cheaper, but will avoid if possible!  I like tants and ceramic way better too.
e.e. cummings

Droogie

When I built this, I ordered the wrong diode package (three leads, like Trannies) and had to kluge the two relevant connectors onto the pads. Worked out fine though, but not nearly as nice as this build—that's sweet right there!
Chief Executive Officer in Charge of Burrito Redistribution at Hytone Electric

culturejam

Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

wgc

Thx guys!

Glad you got your diodes to work Andrew
e.e. cummings