News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Speaker Re-Cone: Yeah or Nay?

Started by Chi_Boy, June 01, 2014, 01:51:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chi_Boy

Would anyone have any opinions on speaker re-coning? 

A band mate blew a monitor speaker and we are considering having it re-coned rather than replaced.  The cost is about half of new so the pricing is appealing.  And these are stage monitors so the sound isn't super critical.

Thanks for any feedback.

Cheers,
George

Leevibe

I haven't reconed a speaker but I've read plenty of reviews of people who have successfully done it. I say go for it! I would.

pickdropper

It sort of depends, really.

I have a set of vintage CTS speakers that I am going to recone.  They came out of my blackface Super Reverb.  Because of their value, they are worth reconing.  I am not sure that's true for some lower cost modern speakers.

I know you are in the Chicago area.  I've got a recommendation from somebody I trust if you are trying to figure out where to send it.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

JohnL

As above, re-coning is very common and if the tech is good you will never hear the difference. Most of the time it is cheaper to re-cone if it is a higher end speaker, if the speakers are something really cheap sometimes buying new is the way to go because finding the right kit can be a PITA.

Chi_Boy

Quote from: pickdropper on June 01, 2014, 02:14:45 PM
It sort of depends, really.

I have a set of vintage CTS speakers that I am going to recone.  They came out of my blackface Super Reverb.  Because of their value, they are worth reconing.  I am not sure that's true for some lower cost modern speakers.

I know you are in the Chicago area.  I've got a recommendation from somebody I trust if you are trying to figure out where to send it.

Yes, a recamendation would be great.  Considering the aplication it's more about the cost since these aren't vintage or anything.