News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

In regards to powering a multi effect box

Started by ggarms, June 04, 2014, 08:13:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ggarms

So I am getting ready to box up my first multi-effect, and I had a question about the power supply. I have seen people use a piece of Stripp board to do a ground bus and a 9 V bus, but I also thought it might make sense to run the power from the Jack to the power on the first board and then jumper all of the boards power pads together. I had the same thought about the grounds. Is there any reason why this wouldn't work at least as well as the strip bus ?

jimilee

I like 1776 stomp boards, and Rej has some with 9v on both sides of the board. I'm not sure if the power would drop off doing it your way, but in my mind it would work.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

alanp

I daisychained my power connections, IIRC.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

ggarms

I usually have a few of Josh's boards around, but I am down to my last. In my mind, it makes sense to wire it as follows: Dc jack>power effect 1>power effect 2>power effect 3. I did just realize the LED issue though. With Josh's boards, the problem would be solved, but thinking about it, it may make more sense to use a few strip rows for 9v and ground busses, or maybe a dedicated one for the LED's. Maybe I'll just grab some more from josh. With three effects I don't want the wires to get out of control. I've got forum members to try and impress in the build reports section!

GrindCustoms

Linking 3PDT boards is a good way of do it, the power delivery to each effect is not affected by the one before because they are wired in parrallel.

Depending of the type of Multi-Effect you are building, if it's a multi dirt box, what i'm about to say would'nt really apply less susceptible to hear it.

If you're doing a multi effect unit, where you have clocks, bbd or other modulation, i would use vero, have the 9V+ tied to it and then use 100R resistor to separate each power section, this would reduce the chances of DC ripple.
Killing Unicorns, day after day...

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/