News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Bass clean blend - usage question

Started by Chi_Boy, June 10, 2014, 12:15:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chi_Boy

So I've been researching clean blends for use with bass effects.  There are a lot of options out there.  Some simple and some complex. 

I've never used one and now I'm wondering how folks use them.  Are the blend circuits a set and forget kind of thing or is it something that gets adjusted constantly?

My thought here is that if it is a set and forget thing, then a simple utility board inside the box could convert a standard effect into clean blend without additional external controls.   Once the balance is set with internal trimmers or such, then it stays where it is and the controls for the main effect are all that is used. 

Or is the blend control absolutely required to be on the outside to be functional?

Droogie

For me, always on the outside. Used for compressors, etc., outside gives you more flexibility than an internal trim would. Different rooms, acoustics, taste and musical style require different amounts of clean sound.
Chief Executive Officer in Charge of Burrito Redistribution at Hytone Electric

jimilee

Somebody here made a schoon tune which is an add on clean blend board with an external pot. I don't remember who though.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

jubal81

I have some of those 3PDT/clean blend daughter boards. They're really great for dirt boxes and compressors.
Shoot me a PM.

Here's a link to the build doc. I have some updated boards, though. Same thing, just better layout.
http://cl.ly/3E3Y2l2a3i2U
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

bcalla

Quote from: jimilee on June 10, 2014, 12:51:35 PM
Somebody here made a schoon tune which is an add on clean blend board with an external pot. I don't remember who though.
Yes, I bought a few of Jason's Schoon Toon boards and used one on my Sharkfin.  It's a nice solution.

karter2000

Serious +1 for the Schoon Toon. I built on for a Guv'nor clone, and it sounds fantastic. I believe it's a very well designed blend for bass, so much that I'm considering getting more boards and adding them to other pedals I have.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

jimilee

I can't believe I forgot it was you jason
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

jkokura

The JMK Panner is built for this also, and mounts on the Pot if you'd rather not have something with a switch.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

Chi_Boy

It seems most of the solutions out there are based on some sort of panning.  How is the volume change on the Schoon and Panner as they pan from clean to dirty?

I built a similar (but different application) circuit one time and didn't care for the volume drop in the dirty when all I wanted was to raise the clean.  It seemed like independent volumes for clean and dirty would be the way to go.

jubal81

You can try one of the more involved designs where the center lug goes to ground so one side is boosted as the other is attenuated, keeping the volume more steady. Check out RG's panning for fun article or the schematic for the Sparkle drive, which uses a dual pot.

EDIT: Found the link
http://www.geofex.com/Article_Folders/panner.pdf
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair