News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Rockbox Boiling Point

Started by k.rock!, April 22, 2011, 07:49:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

k.rock!

How about it guys? :)

I love how this pedal sounds...very flexible OD!

Have you thought about this one Bean?

-Kaleb
God bless!
www.kalebromero.com

jtn191

k.rock!

yeah no surprise there...then again which OD isn't? hehe at least 75% of ODs were probably modified TS...

Thanks for the link! It makes me think that this is very similar to the GGG Tubescreamer kit with the "very expensive boutique" mods...(it has a 3 way clipping switch like this one). But at the same time I'm still intrigued by what kind of mods did they did to the TS circuit to make it sound so incredibly cool!

Their choice of components definitely has a big part on it as well...I can tell based on the gut shot pic in that thread that they're using fine components and the very familiar RC4558P IC as well :P

YATS or not, still a very very nice sounding pedal...would love to build one of those regardless...

-Kaleb
God bless!
www.kalebromero.com

snz728

found this pic on the web

[attachment deleted by admin]

sgmezei

I have seen these and cant believe it. They look identical to the GGG tubescreamer kit. I have built a few and they sound awesome! (if your a tubscreamer guy).

The GGG kit is $60, the Boiling point is like $300.............thats alot for a swirl paint job

petesz

Would not pay $300 for that pedal.. i agree it does sound quite good though, but that might be attributed to Andy from PGS being able to sell anything.
Ive built one of the GGG tubescreamers with the very expensive boutique mods, thought it sounded kind of ordinary to be honest.. sold it.
Also built the BYOC OD-2 to stock, that thing sounds fantastic!! Never selling it.

sgmezei

I agree. The PGS crew always make everything sound great. Did you really notice that big of a difference between the GGG and the BYOC? I would appreciate your input as I have never tried byoc and am about to place an order with them.

petesz

Yeah Andy is a ripper at being able to choose a song/solo that highlights each pedal's best features!

The GGG was definitely more muddy, less responsive and less tweakable compared to the BYOC. Keep in mind I built the OD-2 which is like a souped up version of the tubescreamer (compared to the OD-1 they have which is pretty stock i think), and i also decided to use the BB OPA2134 chip in mine..
If you are thinking of placing a BYOC order I can honestly say that i think their kits are of a really high quality in general, they have definitely put a lot of thought into their products. I would have bought more BYOC but the price for them in Australia is stupid.. The kit for the OD-1 costs $70 in the US, here its $180AU.. and our dollar is stronger.. hmm.

bigmufffuzzwizz

I'll say this pedal does sound good but I feel more intrigued by the guys guitar playing abilities. And that's something I always notice about PGS. I think its funny he states this pedal including "audiophile" components when I believe all of us use just the same quality pieces. haha
I also like BYOC and most of their products. I had trouble with the analog chorus build but it has since been revised and looks more do-able. Also I wasn't very impressed by the auto-wah/dod 440 clone. I think I wanted something more like the CS Dipthonizer! The rest of the builds I've done from them (2 leeds fuzz, 2 large beavers, ESV 2 knob tonebender, ds-1, analog flanger, ea tremelo, reverb) I all like. I use 4 of them on my pedal board and they haven't come off yet! I still have yet to build the VB-2 clone I have of theirs but the parts count is kinda daunting!
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals