News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

guitar for a 2 year old?

Started by thesameage, June 16, 2014, 07:17:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thesameage

Anyone have a great guitar for their kids?

My wife bought a cheapy toy guitar, but you can't even tune it. We have a baby taylor, but that's just a little too big for them for now.

Any ideas? Anyone play a Loog?

davent

What about a real ukulele, small highly playable and only four strings to contend with.
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

thesameage

I was thinking along those lines as well. Any recs on something that's easy enough to play and durable but not delicate and appropriately priced for a kid's instrument?

selfdestroyer

peAk

man, my boy is five and turning six soon and I can not get him even remotely interested in playing the guitar.

Maybe if I bought a Mindcraft guitar  ::)

thesameage

I couldn't get my daughter interested, but you can't even have a guitar in the same room as my son without him picking it up. Kids are just all different. You can't force it.

GermanCdn

I'd go for either a uke or a mandolin (and take half the strings off).  Both can be had for under $150 for a decent starter unit.  My first stringed instrument was an old El Degas mandolin my dad gave me when I was four.  If he only knew then what kind of havoc that would wreak later in life.
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

davent

At 2years... give'm a few weeks with a uke and they'll nail this.

"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

derevaun

Can you put better tuners on the toy guitar? We have a toy ukelele that sits around in the fray, and a jay turser Flying V safely up on the wall. The kids are much more likely to pick up the beat-up toy guitar than to take the V off the wall. But they lose interest if it's out of tune.

Muadzin

Quote from: thesameage on June 16, 2014, 08:52:20 AM
I couldn't get my daughter interested, but you can't even have a guitar in the same room as my son without him picking it up. Kids are just all different. You can't force it.

Until they're 18? Hell yes you can! If it will stick afterwards that's another thing but until they're 18 you get to decide. Just like which schools to go to and which religion to attend.

Betty Wont

The Epiphone Mandobird iv. A cheap electric 4 string mandolin that is perfect for toddlers. It is solid body and not delicate like a hollow acoustic instrument with a wood bridge. It stays in tune. All 3 of my kids started on it. I tune it EADG like a bass and they can easily translate to bass or guitar when they get bigger. Plus it is super fun to plug it into high gain and shred on. HUGE bends!

pickdropper

I bought my daughter a Jay Turser 3/4 size acoustic guitar.  The tuners are MUCH better than the toy piece of junk she had before that.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

thesameage

Quote from: derevaun on June 16, 2014, 09:10:29 AM
Can you put better tuners on the toy guitar? We have a toy ukelele that sits around in the fray, and a jay turser Flying V safely up on the wall. The kids are much more likely to pick up the beat-up toy guitar than to take the V off the wall. But they lose interest if it's out of tune.

I can't... that's how hard it sucks! All good suggestions here, guys. Keep 'em coming.

Jakes Dad

At 2 my daughter (now 28) was fascinated by my '59 Gibson Country and Western - it's beat and has been hanging by a thread for many, many years but sounds really good.  We bought her a uke and she loved it - kept her amused for a few years.  She never really progressed to anything more serious though.

I started with a super cheap Monkey Wards folk guitar at 12.  Both my nephews started about the same age with Yamaha and Epiphone acoustics - their dad (my younger brother) never had any interest in guitar but still plays the tuba.

thesameage

I'm starting to lean heavily towards a ukelele. Anyone here know anything about them?