News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Tiny knobs

Started by muddyfox, June 16, 2014, 01:53:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

muddyfox

Alright... I thought I was actually gonna finish Ian's Dopp 2.1 this week. I have it mostly soldered up, the box has been drilled and powdercoated, I even have a pitiful excuse for a graphic done.

What I obviously don't have is tiny knobs that actually fit the blasted 9mm pots! I made a point of ordering some 12mm aluminum pots from Banzai, only to find out they are nowhere near wide enough to accept 9mm pots. They are perfectly usable on knurled shaft 16mm alphas but no way on the 9mms. Same with all the other pots I have in stock that are tiny enough for the Dopp build.

So... what do you guys use when pots are tight and you are using 9mm alphas? Since my Dopp ETA just got pushed to September, ebay suggestions are fine...

Thanks!

haveyouseenhim

I have one tiny knob, but I'm quite attached to it.     :o
I'm sorry sir, we only have the regular ohms

GermanCdn

Quote from: haveyouseenhim on June 16, 2014, 02:27:53 PM
I have one tiny knob, but I'm quite attached to it.     :o

Golfclap!  Well played sir.
The only known cure in the world for GAS is death.  That's my story, and I'm sticking to it.

muddyfox

::) I just knew that no talk of knobs and shafts can go unpunished around here, I just hoped we would reach post #5 before we got irreversibly sidetracked...  ;D

GrindCustoms

Small Davies should do the trick, i have a good load of them in clear, let me know if you want some.
Killing Unicorns, day after day...

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/

selfdestroyer

Quote from: GrindCustoms on June 16, 2014, 02:54:08 PM
Small Davies should do the trick, i have a good load of them in clear, let me know if you want some.

That's what I have used on my 9mm alpha pots. Either the Tayda ones or Smallbear have worked for me.

Cody

alanp

1900H Davies clones are my go-to knob for bugger all space. The 1510 is my other choice for when there is room.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

pickdropper

I can't seem to get away from 0.5" OD aluminum knobs from Small Bear.  Those are my favorite, both the silver and the knurled black.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

muddyfox

Thanks folks!

I really hopedI could get by with something else other than the small Davies (as they strip like noone's business) but with SB shipping being what it is, I guess I'll just have to go easy on the screwdriver.  ;)

alanp

Erthenvar make the BEST 1900H knobs I've seen, EVER.

It isn't plastic all the way, with a metal set screw. It's plastic over a brass collar, which the setscrew threads INTO. Metal is harder to strip thread than plastic :D
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

muddyfox

At $2 shipped, these look great! Just ordered some crappy ones from Tayda but I'll be giving these a go next time around. That screw-in-collar must be great!

Thanks A.!

chromesphere

I have been meaning to add a listing on my webstore for some small aluminium knobs that I have had instock for about 3 weeks now!!  They are 12.7mm OD, 6.4mm shaft, black and silver, $2.80 each.  A photo below I posted a few weeks ago on my DGP facebook page; example of 3 sitting on top of a 1590a enclosure.  I'll try and get them on the webstore tonight!  They are a really nice knob, im very happy with them.

I hate to pay out on other peoples stock but gee's...those tayda 1900h clones are just garbage...Actually the reason that I began to search for an alternative. They look cheap and for some reason I often get them with a worn out grubscrew thread (the grub screw just spins around and doesn't grab) so those ones just don't work and go in the bin.

Edit: Just added something quickly to the webstore for anyone wanting them, will add better photos, hopefully tonight:
http://www.diyguitarpedals.com.au/shop/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=15

Cheers
Paul
Pedal Parts Shop              Youtube

muddyfox

I wholeheartedly agree on Tayda 1900s... utter crap.

Are yours push-on or screw type?

chromesphere

Mine have 2 grub screws for mounting.
Paul
Pedal Parts Shop              Youtube

Bufferz

Quote from: GrindCustoms on June 16, 2014, 02:54:08 PM

where can I source the clear small davies?
affiliations: TFX