News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

3 builds

Started by juansolo, June 19, 2014, 12:10:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

juansolo

I have an hour of fast connection left before they throttle me, so I've stuck the pics up on Facebook. Normal service will resume, shortly... I hope

Vari-Tank Reverb
This is Josh at 1776 Effects' deluxe reverb. It uses the new variable brick from Accutronics/Belton. It's a bit of a mixed bag for me. I loved the simplicity of the original R-a-D and with the tone and fully variable depth I felt it had lost that simplicity/brilliance a little.

So mine's been modded. The tone has been fixed at the same level as the original and we've replaced the variable pot with a DP6T switch. That way you can choose easily the length of virtual tank you want (finding them on the pot was impossible). Small, Medium and Large correspond to the original bricks that were 2 sec, 2.5 and 2.8 respectively. We've got as close as is indistinguishable there.

Tiny is half a Small (around a second) and Huge is probably around 3.5secs or so. Mahoosive was as far as we believe you can push it without it starting to sound pants. It's proabably around the 4sec mark.

Resistor values to replicate this are as follows (they're stacked on the switch):
3k9 Tiny (used a 3k3)
6k8 Short (stacked another 3k3)
9k5 Medium (stacked a 3k)
11k2 Long (stacked a 2k)
15k Huge (stacked a 4k7)
30k Mahoosive (stacked a 15k)

Spock's Harp
A Small Stone clone built on Haberdasher's Space Harp PCB. Cleggy wanted one so I got to use the Spock's Harp decal after all!

NixieTherm

After the disappointment of the ThinkGeek Nixie that I built on behalf of a friend, I decided to look into them a little more and build one for me.

The NixieTherm is a superbly designed kit with excellent instructions and is just damn classy. I very much rate this one and it's has pride of place next to my PVE LTC clock. I can see me buying more of Jurgen's kits!

Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

m-Kresol

Way to go there Jon. These look most awesome. I really dig your Rub A Dub deluxe. The 6PDT is a superb idea!
And that thermometer is a real eyecatcher. Where did you get it? Link please :)
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

sturgeo

Great idea with the 6PDT, will have to give one of these ago altho i've got a few BTDR-2H to use up first!

Looks like the thermometer from Nixiekits.eu i've been flirting with one of their clock kits but have yet to take the plunge. Any issues putting it together?

marauder

Responding on Cleggy's iPad -

Yeah it's a Nixiekits EU one. Very classy kit. The only issues was one of the parts was wrong (I expect the wrong thing had fallen into the parts bin). Otherwise it's all top quailty stuff.

Leevibe

All three are amazing of course. I love the reverb!! Very thoughtful and perfectly executed.

Haberdasher

juan, your stuff always looks so good

cheers
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

midwayfair

Both of these made me lol.

In all seriousness, that's an awesome take on the Reverb without a huge amount of extra work. It would make a good commercial brick pedal.

nmbb

Nice builds! The Nixie Therm is the best ;D ;D ;D

Nice ideia of having resistors stacked in a 2p6t switch to choose the reverb length!

8)

selfdestroyer

Quote from: midwayfair on June 19, 2014, 10:59:53 AM
That's an awesome take on the Reverb without a huge amount of extra work. It would make a good commercial brick pedal.

I completely agree with Jon on this. The 6PDT is an awesome idea.

Cody

brucer

Innovative and visually/technically impressive builds as always!  I've been keen on a reverb build and yours is an inspiration.

Being from the newbie side of things, can you post the resistor value that fixed the tone at the same level as the original Rub-a-Dub? Also, does the 6PDT wiring need to be modified at all or could a guy just solder the spec'd resistors and wires as shown?

juansolo

The resistor values are under the gut shot. The first value is what you want to be aiming for (or there abouts) the 2nd value is how we stacked them.

As it's dual gang you'll need a DP6T rotary switch.

Running from pin 2 of each gang will be a line with a 3k3 resistor on it to the centre connections. Then you want to run pin 1 of one gang to pin 1 of the switch, the other needs to go to pin 7. Therefore when the switch is in pos 1 it's only got the 3k3 in-line.

The next 3k3 goes from pin 1 to pin 2 and from pin 7 to pin 8 of the rotary. So when you're in pos 2 on the switch, it goes through both giving 6k6, or as near as damnit the value needed for the short setting.

Then a 3k from pin 2 to pin 3 and from pin 8 to pin 9. Etc.

No mods needed to the switch.
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

wgc

Mahoosive, like always!
always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.
e.e. cummings

lincolnic

That's a pretty brilliant mod, you guys.