News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Aristocrat

Started by yomanfree, April 17, 2011, 09:00:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

yomanfree

Hello all,
first sorry for my english but i will do my best !!!!
just I'd like to share with you my aristo built and few feedbacks ... I've too one question -at the end of the post-.
Pictures of the pedal are attached.
- When I've tried the pedal with my les paul, I've been a bit disappointed. Then I've turned the buttons and change switches in all direction :-), and my conclusion is that we can achieve the best and the worst.  Some configurations give a very good sound, some others are really bad ...
One step after, I've plugged my G&L (single coils). Very good sound (whatever switches position)!
- Activating the switches to increase the overdrive, the pedal generates more and more highs.
If I use the first pedal as boost and light overdrive, C1 = 33nF seems a good value, sound is well balanced. If I want to use the second pedal as an overdrive (even stand alone), I suspect that increasing C12 could be a good thing to kill a bit the highs (not tested)
- Presence trimpots turned in the counterclock wise don't provide a good sound to my ears, but it is good if I increase in the clockwise (but more highs and brighter). Therefore trimpots are at the middle, the best for my ears
- Increasing the R value of the gain potentiometer is quite good to increase the overall gain. I have used a 500K which is perfectly OK
- PCB is really well build and fit perfectly in a BB enclosure. Just take care of C1/C3/C4 and C12/C14/C15 size ...
Now one question: is someone tried to supply the pedal with 12 or 18V ? I guess, seeing components datasheet and circuit that it should be possible .... Is it right ?
Thanks

[attachment deleted by admin]

nzCdog

Haven't built one of these yet, be good to hear if you can tweak it

yomanfree

Hello,
I've more played guitar with this pedal since my first post. Definitly this pedal is very good as it. Strangelly, I find that the best use is when I push at maximum the overdrive . It means that for the second part of the pedal: all switches activated for the maximum overdrive and 500K gain pot at maximum. The first part of the pedal is roughtly used like a boost (with a slight overdrive).
Activating the boost + overdrive provides a thick overdriven sound really pleasant which can be used typically for a Hard Rock solo. Playing blues rock and hard rock styles is really a pleasure with this pedal ....

I recommand this pedal !
By

gtr2

It's funny...I didn't care for this build much either at first.  It just didn't sound that great when noodling at home.  Then I used it in a band setting and it always sits in the mix really nice.  I never use it with the gain cranked I'm usually at noonish.  I just bought the one channel board (king of klones) so I can save some board space or have it on a second "easy transport" board.  I usually only use one channel anyways with the dips in the middle gain setting.  It is nice to have some options though with the two channel so I'm glad I built it.

Glad your getting along with your great build!

Josh
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer