News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Kingslayer II Help!!!! IC Voltage's Added!!!

Started by sdlogan9, June 23, 2014, 09:48:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sdlogan9

So I got the build all finished up and put together.

While the pedal is in bypass I am getting a very loud Motor boat / Whine sound although the guitar signal is working... 

When the effect is engaged I get nothing... nada..zero! :'(   --   Except the LED does work 8)

Help!

Do you think the IC's are bad?

oldhousescott

Got a DMM? Post your voltages for each IC pin in this thread. That should get the ball rolling.

sdlogan9

Quote from: oldhousescott on June 23, 2014, 09:56:16 PM
Got a DMM? Post your voltages for each IC pin in this thread. That should get the ball rolling.

IC Voltages Added!!!

Thanks for the help man!

-Shane

madbean

Can we get a close up of this area, flat on?

sdlogan9

sdlogan9

Ok so I found a real small solder bridge and all is perfect!!!   Except one thing..

When I turn the Gain all the way off..  I get the whine.   If the gain is turned up even just a half a millimeter the sound goes away immediately !!

I think I have read about this issue in other places..

Do i need to use a different charge pump?

Peace
Shane

Mike B.

Shane, your charge pump should have the "SCPA" designation, which means it switches at a frequency higher than audible range. The "CPA" chips switch at a lower freq which can be heard as a whine.

EDIT: looking at your pics I see your charge pump is an SCPA. Maybe swap it with a known good one. If that doesn't help, check your power filtering.

sdlogan9

Quote from: Mike B. on June 24, 2014, 01:37:00 AM
Shane, your charge pump should have the "SCPA" designation, which means it switches at a frequency higher than audible range. The "CPA" chips switch at a lower freq which can be heard as a whine.

The Charge pump in the pedal is a TC1044SCPA From Mouser.  Is this the correct one? 

-Shane

Mike B.

Quote from: sdlogan9 on June 24, 2014, 01:39:30 AM
Quote from: Mike B. on June 24, 2014, 01:37:00 AM

The Charge pump in the pedal is a TC1044SCPA From Mouser.  Is this the correct one? 

-Shane

Yeah sorry, wasn't fast enough with the edit - that should be fine. It's possible the chip got damaged though. I'd through a known good one in there temporarily just to eliminate it.