News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Applying Sunking bass mod values to Kingslayer?

Started by thesameage, June 24, 2014, 06:14:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

thesameage

In the Sunking BOM, there are a number of values to try for better use with bass. The components in the two (obviously) do not match up, though many are the same. Is there a way to apply the Sunking mods to the Kingslayer?

Here's what's suggested in the Sunking BOM:
C2: 220n 
C3: 1uF
C4: 220n 
C5: 100n 
C6: 220n 
C7: 100n 
C8: 270n 
C9: 1n 
C12: 6n8
C13: 56n
C14: 1n  
C15: 10n – 15n 
R16: 6k8 

sdlogan9

I am interested in this too

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

alanp

The christening valve amp mistake is to get the primary wires for the OT the wrong way around (giving howling, screaming positive feedback, NOT negative), but I don't think that's possible in a single ended amp like a Champ.
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

blearyeyes

I'm trying to learn this stuff but I'm not really up to speed. You would have to look at the schematic and figure out where the R/C filters are (resistor / capacitor). Raising the cap values will let more bass through and less highs. There is a great software suite of electronic calculators free here:

http://www.electronics2000.co.uk/download.php

thesameage

As brian/madbean has said recently, if you change the values in some parts of the circuit, you'll need to change the values in other parts to compensate. That said, I'd love to hear his input as he already figured it out for the Sunking.

blearyeyes

Been lookin at both schematics and you might be able to identify each change by putting them side by side and figuring out which number corresponds with the same component on the other schematic..  They are very similar.. Then just substitute the numbers.

+1 thesameage

All components in a circuit work together. Still....

blearyeyes

Sunking = Kingslayer
C2   = C4 220n
C3   = C5 1uF
C4   = C2 220n
C5   = NOT INCLUDED (no thick switch)
C6   = NOT INCLUDED (no thick switch)
C7  = C8 100n
C8  = C7 270n
C9  = C9 1n
C12  = C13 6n8
C13  = C14 56n
C14  = C15 1n
C15  = C16 10n - 15n
R16 = R20 this is already 6k8 on the king slayer

If you decide to do these modifications realize I am not Brian and I do not guarantee these will net the results you want. All I did was locate the same component on the Kingslayer that was on the Sunking and translated the part number. Please double check the values as I copied them from your post and not from the suggested mod by Brian.

thesameage

blearyeyes

If you do this, let me know if it works.
Good luck.

jimilee

Here is what Rej told me while I was building the Chimaera:
To make the Chimaera BFD Bass guitar friendly change C1 to 390nf

So just the inout cap. Sounds good to me.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

thesameage

Quote from: blearyeyes on July 13, 2014, 08:04:54 PM
If you do this, let me know if it works.
Good luck.

I plan to do it and I have a board... just distracted by another build temporarily!

the3secondrule

Has anyone tried the above mods?
I've got a kingslayer board here that getting these mods unless someone can give me a good reason not to ;)
"I have many leatherbound books, and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

thesameage