News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Klone Science

Started by JakeFuzz, June 27, 2014, 06:52:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JakeFuzz

Frequency analysis is coming!

Special thanks to Rej, Kevin and Brian for making this happen. The plan is to have identical components which are swapped between the Aion Refractor, The GC Chimaera and the MB Sunking II. I will also have trimmers for the pot values and will be varying the tone and gain controls as I take frequency response plots. I will have 3 tone positions and 3 gain positions and fixed output volume. I am taking the frequency response, harmonic content (with a 440Hz sine input), input and output impedance at one value. The data will be made available here through some file sharing software. Honestly I don't expect to see a whole lot of variation and worry a little about the additional contact resistance and capacitance introduced by having so many sockets but this should be fun regardless!

I am also going to be testing a load of other overdrives. If I have time on Sunday night I may bring my Skylark and record some comparison tones between the three circuits here in the lab.

selfdestroyer

This is going to be awesome. I cant wait to see the data collected.

One thought, that bench you have all the hardware on looks way to stable. Can I suggest to use a card table for maximum tonez?

Cody

juansolo

As logic doesn't work with the cork-sniffers, actual verifiable data has little chance either.

I've had similar arguments with audiophiles. There comes a point where you just leave them to it.
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

rullywowr

Quote from: selfdestroyer on June 27, 2014, 07:39:26 PM
This is going to be awesome. I cant wait to see the data collected.

One thought, that bench you have all the hardware on looks way to stable. Can I suggest to use a card table for maximum tonez?

Cody

Totally agree. Some goop nearby would be a great toanz enhancer as well.

This looks very interesting.  Looking forward to seeing your findings. Love me some test gear!

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

jkokura

Quote from: selfdestroyer on June 27, 2014, 07:39:26 PM
Can I suggest to use a card table for maximum tonez?

Well played good sir. ;)

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

culturejam

Looks like a nice setup.

But I can't help notice that you don't have a Crystal Lattice Detector as part of your test equipment. What's up with that?
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects

pickdropper

The klones look nice and all, but that Agilent scope looks AWESOME.

I'm guessing that isn't your home setup.  Those things are pricey.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

JakeFuzz

Yeah I know the audiophile crowd will still be in denial but it will be fun to see what sort of excuses they come up with!

We have some pretty lame foldout tables in the lab I can approximate as a card table  ;D

Crystal lattice detector! We actually have one of those, its called an x-ray diffractometer. Maybe ill run my Dumble clones through that guy for the next mythbusting session!

That scope is pretty epic. It is touch screen too! I believe it was around $8000 when we bought it last year. I wish I had it at home but these are all in my lab at work. There is a machine that I rent from another lab upstairs which costs 150K called a network analyzer  :o ridiculously expensive.

Haberdasher

yeah that looks like one fancy scope
well beyond my $ point lol
Looking for a discontinued madbean board?  Check out my THREAD

FABBED PCB's FOR SALE:
Now carrying Matched JFETS

pickdropper

Quote from: JakeFuzz on June 27, 2014, 09:28:17 PM
There is a machine that I rent from another lab upstairs which costs 150K called a network analyzer  :o ridiculously expensive.

Is it a Rohde and Schwartz?
Function f(x)

stecykmi

i'm jelly for that scope and freq analyzer. the scope can also do FFT's too, correct?

JakeFuzz

The newest PNA upstairs is an Agilent. They have about 6 different ones that all cost 80K+ but that latest one is mucho dinero. It is a 4 port too which I am not too familiar with but will have to play around with to figure out.

Yes the scope has FFT capabilities. It also has two independent function generators and 16 digital probe channels!

pickdropper

Awesome.  That is fun stuff.
Function f(x)

cooder

This promises to be epic and some revelation... watch out TGP... :o
BigNoise Amplification

GrindCustoms

Paul, you realise you'll be killing a whole cattle of unicorns?

Really cool that you jumped into my stupid idea. ;D

Quote from: cooder on June 28, 2014, 05:33:31 AM
This promises to be epic and some revelation... watch out TGP... :o

More epicness to come. ;)

Killing Unicorns, day after day...

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/