News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

1uF box film caps versus electrolytic in Sunking

Started by JeffdaMaori, April 19, 2011, 07:45:11 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

JeffdaMaori

The Sunking calls for a bunch of 1uF electrolytic caps, can they also just as well be substituted with non polarized metal film box caps? Any difference in function or sound if I'd do that?
Often people would recommend film caps over electrolytics for sound reason, can they be substituted in any circuit as long as they're the same value?

Cheers

Andy

jkokura

Andy, it depends on the situation. In some situations it's been said that it makes a tone difference. I'm not sure about that. However, it is guaranteed that it can make a reliability difference.

First off, Film caps can have a tighter tolerance than Electrolytics. Also, they aren't prone to 'blowing' or spontaneous failure. They have great packages with 5mm spacing which I prefer. Also, in old amps and pedals and such, electrolytics have to be replaced - that's why I suspect it's better to use film where I can.

However, when you need a polarized cap, don't sub in a film cap, use an electrolytic. So for the Sunking as an example, I suggest you use the recommended caps. But if you were say going to need to use a 1 uF cap as an output cap, and the recommended cap was an electrolytic, I'd instantly sub a film cap if I could.

Jacob
JMK Pedals - Custom Pedal Creations
JMK PCBs *New Website*
pedal company - youtube - facebook - Used Pedals

jimmybjj

I don't know the answer to your question, but i will in a couple of weeks  :D I'll be away and not able to work on it for the next two weeks. IF you haven't started by then I'll have a answer for ya. I didn't do it for any "tonal" reasons, but because that's just what i had around at the time. I figured if it didn't work out its only 7 caps.

Pcbs no longer available

JeffdaMaori

Thanks guys for your take on it!
And yes I'd be keen to hear from you, Jimmy, how your Sunking with filmcaps goes. Cheers! ;D
Andy

bigmufffuzzwizz

Owner and operator of Magic Pedals

jimmybjj

just a update. I haven't boxed it up yet but i have been playing it. It sounds incredible, I like it alot and don't plan on changing to electro's. I don't know how the regular electro sound in this circuit but I like the film alot. I wonder if you would even be able to tell a difference.
Pcbs no longer available

JeffdaMaori

Thanks a lot for the update!
Interesting stuff and I'm looking forward to building mine too ;D

Cheers mate!

madbean

The 1uF caps on the right side of the board are for power supply filtering. There's no discernible difference in using film there. The ones in the middle of the board are in the audio path. While it's pretty subjective, using film there is totally fine.