Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Dual gang pot control doubt

Started by mganzer, July 29, 2013, 04:09:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mganzer

Hi guys;
I messing arround with some ideas and with one of them i have some dificult:
If in a dual gain stages i use dual gang potentiometer to control the gain between then:
When turn cw the gain of first stage goes down and second stage going up;
when turn ccw the gain of first stage goes up and second goes down;
The idea (attached image is just a sketch) is use a first stage clean and second stage hotter:
Attached schematic is correct in use of dual gang pot?

Thank you guys;

midwayfair

It will "work" in the way you're describing, but it's hardly the best way to do things. The gain control into the MOSFET is going to produce a LOT of noise at higher impedance levels, and you'll probably also have all sorts of impedance issues with preceding pedals. At the very least, I would buffer the input and make the first "gain" a voltage divider between the buffer's output cap and Q1's input cap. You might also be better varying R11 instead of the feedback loop gain because 100K dual gangs are easier to get and will be a more appropriate value for a voltage divider ahead of Q1.

Other stuff:
-You need a decoupling cap on the output.
-I would tie R5 to Vb, not ground, and consider making it larger. Right now it's pulling pin 3 down pretty hard.
-The SHO will produce a signal large enough to clip the OP amp even when the gain's at 0R. I'm not entirely convinced that your gain control won't just sound basically the same in all positions.

mganzer

Thank you for information Jon;
In fact i only make a schematic quick with some blocks already drawed to illustrate my question, but thank you for analysis of the whole circuit.
I agree with you. SHO will drive crazy all the circuit.

mganzer

Jon;
In sho is possible to control the gain by starving the circuit supply with a variable resistor?

midwayfair

Quote from: mganzer on July 29, 2013, 10:55:55 PM
Jon;
In sho is possible to control the gain by starving the circuit supply with a variable resistor?

Yes. Lower voltage will be less gain. ;)

I suggest breadboarding this and experimenting. Much more useful than posting questions (which I'm nevertheless happy to answer).

mganzer

Now i'm really curious about  sho and srpp stage as clear stage. Unfortunately my stash is in transit (finally i'm getting serious on eletronics. Buy various tools and a full range specs of components).
I have to wait >:(
Thank you again.

mganzer

Well, i'm still waiting for some itens...

This is more like a gain control and mix control. In fact i want two distinct gain patches to give overdrive cw and clean boost ccw...

I will get crazy until my breadboard parts arrive :(