Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Evel Genius

Started by Leevibe, July 04, 2014, 05:55:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davent

Quote from: Leevibe on July 04, 2014, 09:09:53 PM
Quote from: wgc on July 04, 2014, 08:30:42 PM
Wow. I never felt old until I mentioned evel and none of my coworkers in the room knew what I was talking about. I had that toy also and the only thing that came close were the Star Trek walkie talkies and an stp racer. I also broke a bike pretending it was a stunt bike.

Super clean wiring and love how the decal looks almost 3d.

Light fuse and get away fast..!

Haha. It was a total coincidence that I was boxing this up today, July 4th! It just worked out that way, but how fitting.

Man, I need to learn how to do multi-quotes in these replies.

When you are on the Post Reply page, all the thread's posted replies are below the Posting box and each post has an Insert Quote button.
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

Leevibe

Aha. OK, thanks Dave. That sounds easy enough.

midwayfair

holy cow, that wiring! :o

Outside looks awesome, too, but just ... wow.

pickdropper

That's some pretty swank wiring.  Great color scheme.

Semi-thread derail.  I used to work at a restaurant that had an uncashed check from Evel Kneivel on the wall for $1,000,000.  At the bottom of the check, it said it was for "golf lessons" (the owner was supposedly a great golfer).  I always wondered what the full story was with that check.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

Justus

I know it's been said a lot already, but dang when I saw the wiring in the gut shot I was seriously impressed!  The attention to detail is astounding, and inspiring.  Great looking build!

lincolnic

That really is some of the best wiring I've ever seen.

Stomptown

Evil and genius Lee - and such a great back story as well!  I think I'm more excited to look at this than the fireworks!!! That wiring is absolutely EPIC!!!  8)

selfdestroyer

That is so awesome, so inspiring. I can only agree with everyone else when I say it is so very clean.

Cody

chuckbuick

Fantastic inside and out.  The decal looks like it is floating above the paint. 

Leevibe

Thanks again everyone. You guys are so encouraging.

Quote from: midwayfair on July 04, 2014, 09:21:10 PM
holy cow, that wiring! :o

Outside looks awesome, too, but just ... wow.

Thanks Jon. I was pretty sure you were going to ding me for using mosfets for clippers.  ;D

Quote from: chuckbuick on July 04, 2014, 11:57:26 PM

Yeah. It's really just a drop shadow I put in the graphic. It's a pretty convincing illusion in the pics.

Multi quote ftw!

Stomptown

Quote from: chuckbuick on July 04, 2014, 11:57:26 PM

This! He showed me this when it was in progress and it didn't look real. I thought I was looking a CGI or something. That drop shadow really gives it a 3d look!

juansolo

Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

slimtriggers

Awesome!!!  I had the Evel Knievel wind up motorcycle and lunch box, too.  This really brings back great memories  8)

sonarchotic

That wiring is stellar! Whole thing looks great. I was a big Evel fan too. What is the Rain x trick? I have effed up so much enviro with drilling and tightening nuts.

Leevibe

Quote from: sonarchotic on July 06, 2014, 10:39:17 AM
That wiring is stellar! Whole thing looks great. I was a big Evel fan too. What is the Rain x trick? I have effed up so much enviro with drilling and tightening nuts.

It's I think a recent addition to Juan & Cleggy's tutorial. After the resin is well cured, apply Rain-X like you would a windshield. The idea is that it will fill any microscopic pores in the finish and keep drilling dust from clouding the finish. I have never tried it without rain-x, so I don't know if it worked or not, but the finish came out flawless.

I did get the tiniest bit of lift around the holes, but it closed up when I tightened the hardware down. Again, I didn't use Envirotex because I was researching jeweler's resin and everyone kept saying ICE resin is the best in terms of how it flows and "domes." I had also read comments that it is less likely to yellow over time. I have no idea if any of that is true, as it was all anecdotal, but with a white enclosure, I wanted the clearest finish possible with no yellowing over time.