News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Heat Shaped Box

Started by upthepunxxx, July 08, 2014, 05:56:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

upthepunxxx

Odale Vatos!

Hope all is well! My good friend from my bowling league wanted a compressor built for his punk band. He is pretty handy with a welding torch and built a bad ass "broken heart" (bouncing souls esque) shaped box. I built an orange squeezer for him and I drilled it up and mounted it in there. We put the broken half on a hinge and mounted the switch underneath that. Also you will notice there are no pots. He wanted trim pots mounted inside, sort of like a set it and forget it. In my opinion the orange squeezer has a pretty narrow sweet spot, so I figured this would be the perfect circuit for internally mounted pots. He made the box pretty big and deep, which was actually one of the more challenging parts. I always wish I had more room inside to make things pretty but don't want to use a big ol enclosure for a small build. I feel like I am getting better at making my wiring jobs look clean but still obviously need a lot of work. Anyways, it was weird almost having too much room for a tiny circuit. I had to remember all the pointers I've gotten from the forum as far as not having super long runs of wire, and crossing power and ins & outs. I tried to keep it as condensed as possible. Anyways, take a gander and let me know what you think!

Stay Punk!

Wake up and smell the noise!!

lincolnic

That enclosure is incredible! Great job, both of you.

pickdropper

Quote from: lincolnic on July 08, 2014, 06:06:53 PM
That enclosure is incredible! Great job, both of you.

Agreed.  One of the coolest enclosures I've ever seen.  Unique and awesome.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

Leevibe

Such a creative idea!! And really great execution. This is going to gain the best, natural relicing over time too. I want to see an updated pic a year from now when it's been gigged. I'm betting it will get stomped hard, so it's a good thing it's already broken! I agree that trimpots are the way to go on this. And, your wiring looks perfect. And a pedal with a weld bead! Coolness all the way.  8)

davent

Great collaboration! As unique as you will ever see, it needs to be seen in the thread! I'll leave that up to you sir.
"If you always do what you always did- you always get what you always got." - Unknown

If my photos are missing again... they're hosted by photobucket... and as of 06/2017 being held hostage... to be continued?

midwayfair

upthepunxxx

Wow! Thanks so much my man! It's funny you mention that about the relicing. We built it out of steel so it's super heavy and you can really pound on it. I mentioned to him that I could fix the chip in the corner once we finished, and he told me no way. He said it already looked too pristine and couldn't wait for it to be stomped on and beat up. I agreed with him and told him it's only gonna look cooler once time and punk rock shows get a hold of it!
I will totally update pics showing the aging process. And seriously thank you for the wiring compliment, that is one of my biggest insecurities when posting.

Quote from: Leevibe on July 08, 2014, 06:42:25 PM
Such a creative idea!! And really great execution. This is going to gain the best, natural relicing over time too. I want to see an updated pic a year from now when it's been gigged. I'm betting it will get stomped hard, so it's a good thing it's already broken! I agree that trimpots are the way to go on this. And, your wiring looks perfect. And a pedal with a weld bead! Coolness all the way.  8)

upthepunxxx

You guys just made my year! I'm all smiles and super humbled that the stone cold pros on this forum are into one of my builds.
You like me (my build) you really like me (my build)!

derevaun

jtn191

Great build! I'm kinda regretting building my friend an Orange Squeezer bc it's too subtle for him...

flanagan0718

Nice build man. Very creative!

upthepunxxx

Thanks brotha! But what do you mean about it being seen in the thread? Sorry still a bit new to being a regular contributor.

Quote from: davent on July 08, 2014, 06:47:03 PM
Great collaboration! As unique as you will ever see, it needs to be seen in the thread! I'll leave that up to you sir.

juansolo

Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

Leevibe

Quote from: upthepunxxx on July 08, 2014, 08:50:54 PM
Thanks brotha! But what do you mean about it being seen in the thread? Sorry still a bit new to being a regular contributor.

Quote from: davent on July 08, 2014, 06:47:03 PM

Check out Jacob's thread on how to embed pics. Easy peasy!

http://www.madbeanpedals.com/forum/index.php?topic=3823.0

culturejam

That's a real...heart breaker.  ;D
Partner and Product Developer at Function f(x).
My Personal Site with Effects Projects