News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

First etched enclosures - Supreaux Deux & Mini-Me

Started by wstimson, July 07, 2014, 01:08:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wstimson

I haven't boxed anything up in a while (put together at least a half-dozen pcbs with a few more almost there) because I was sick of decals and wanted to try etching, but was putting it off and doing some research.

Finally took the plunge on a couple of boxes over the weekend.  They came out better than I expected, but not as good as they could be.  Still, good effort for the first time and I learned a lot.

First a Supreax Deux...

Came out alright... left it in a bit too long and got a little pitting and lost some detail.  Oh well. 
Also didn't really plan this one out very well in terms of knob placement and graphics.  Really wanted the top mounted jacks, so I ended up having to flip the board and mount the controls upside down.  Oh well.  It's for me and I know what they do.  :)

Next a Mini-Me (based on the EHX Small Clone, I believe)

This one came out better.  A bit more shallow of an etch and I almost lost some detail sanding off the black paint, but overall better.  :)

And one last shot of them together:

playpunk

"my legend grows" - playpunk

selfdestroyer

Great etch work, Love the Supro logo and that color blue goes well together.

Cody

m-Kresol

Really nice first etches. Way better than mine. I also like the blue on the first one.
I build pedals to hide my lousy playing.

My projects are labeled Quantum Effects. My shared OSH park projects: https://oshpark.com/profiles/m-Kresol
My build docs and tutorials

Leevibe

Both look great! Points for the storm trooper.

bcalla

chuckbuick

gordo

Nicely done!  What did you end up using for masking and etchant?  I've kinda thrown in the towel using magazine paper and ferric chloride (which works very well for boards).
Gordy Power
How loud is too loud?  What?

mah62

super builds, Bill! I keep trying to do this and fucking it right up :-(
What do yo use, Ferric chloride?

Mark

wstimson

I used glossy photo paper and a laser printer for the masking. And a roughly 1:1 mix of muriatic acid (15% concentration) and hydrogen peroxide (3%) for the etchant.

flanagan0718

These look great. Love the Storm Trooper one!

derevaun

Nice solid design! I like the top mounted jacks--IMHO they're worth the lower knobs.

arthurc

Those look great, the blue really went well with the logo, it has a "relic" look.