News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Metronome for the entire band?

Started by Chi_Boy, July 09, 2014, 11:54:52 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chi_Boy

So I have a group of guys that I play with and for whatever reason we tend to play too fast, or play faster as a song progresses.  I think our drummer just gets a little excited and needs to calm down.  We're getting a handle on it with practice but I would like to speed the process along. 

That's where the thought of a group metronome came in.   I know some folks use a click track for practice, and we may try that too.   That would be easy to put into the monitors.   

But I was wondering it anything with a light indicator existed.  I was thinking it would be nice to have a big LED display in the center of the room.  Or maybe 3 or 4 on the walls.  We stand in a circle in our practice space so we are all looking in different directions, but still at each other.    The other thought was individual lights on our music stands. 

Either way they would all have to be coordinated and centrally controlled. 

I've looked without success and have thought of building something, but maybe this wheel is already invented. 

Cheers,
George

midwayfair

Light is going to be hard to concentrate on, and you're not going to want to waste the potential of visual clues. In-ear monitors, or just headphones for everyone or even just a click from a laptop coming out of a PA or something would be preferable. If you get in-ear monitors, then you'll have them for shows ... and can use a metronome live as well.

A really comprehensive solution would be controllable by the band leader, or the drummer, for when you actually DO want to change tempo.

GrindCustoms

Most of the time it's only the drummer that has the click in his earphones.

If he's tight on it, rest of the band should. ;)
Killing Unicorns, day after day...

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/

midwayfair

Quote from: GrindCustoms on July 09, 2014, 01:30:58 PM

Agreed, but don't rely on your human drummer as a metronome. It's everyone's job to practice with a click. It will also save you when you go into the studio!

bcalla

GrindCustoms

Quote from: midwayfair on July 09, 2014, 01:33:11 PM
Quote from: GrindCustoms on July 09, 2014, 01:30:58 PM

Agreed, but don't rely on your human drummer as a metronome. It's everyone's job to practice with a click. It will also save you when you go into the studio!

If you can't rely on your drummer playing with clic... might be time to look for another drummer.

You then, send snare, kick, hihat to the other musicians, way less annoying than a clic track when playing, gives a better feel when playing and shows in the performance of the band.

But i agree, when studio time comes, if a band member is not able to play on clic... you're in trouble.
Killing Unicorns, day after day...

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/

flanagan0718

Being a drummer for around 20 years I lived, ate, and dreamed DR BEAT!!!!! Its one of the best metronomes and is a super useful tool.

jtn191

In marching band, we'd play along with dr beat over the PA. It works, or just feed it to the drummer. But hearing a click will help the whole band practice for recording,  as Jon said

bcalla

I don't know if anyone noticed, but the Peterson product I listed earlier allows "an unlimited number of performers—each equipped with a BBS-1—to synchronously feel or hear the same beat it through wireless connectivity."

It's pricey - especially if you outfit a band with them - but the feature list is pretty impressive.  I especially like that it has a vibration clip so you can all silently feel the same beat.

selfdestroyer

I have used a sub mix from Pro Tools/Logic to a Roll headphone distribution box I had and have everyone bring their headphones.. This was really for the more electronic stuff we were doing. When we had a drummer it was easy to do a sub mix of the bass player and a click to the drummers headphones and set him off to carry the band. I wish I still had the ambition to record a full band again. haha

Cody

flanagan0718

Quote from: bcalla on July 09, 2014, 02:53:52 PM
I don't know if anyone noticed, but the Peterson product I listed earlier allows "an unlimited number of performers—each equipped with a BBS-1—to synchronously feel or hear the same beat it through wireless connectivity."

It's pricey - especially if you outfit a band with them - but the feature list is pretty impressive.  I especially like that it has a vibration clip so you can all silently feel the same beat.
This is an awesome product. I sold a couple while working at daddy's. They are pricey but supper nice and very user friendly!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rullywowr

Quote from: GrindCustoms on July 09, 2014, 01:43:52 PM

If you can't rely on your drummer playing with clic... might be time to look for another drummer.

This...been there done that.  Got the new drummer to prove it. :)

Practicing to a click is always recommended. Playing live to one...well there is a time and a place (such as U2s drummer synching to Edge's delay) however I prefer the feel of a good drummer that is "in the pocket" to speak.

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

jimilee

Quote from: rullywowr on July 09, 2014, 08:21:06 PM

Quote from: GrindCustoms on July 09, 2014, 01:43:52 PM

This...been there done that.  Got the new drummer to prove it. :)

Practicing to a click is always recommended. Playing live to one...well there is a time and a place (such as U2s drummer synching to Edge's delay) however I prefer the feel of a good drummer that is "in the pocket" to speak.
+1
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

Leevibe

If your drummer can stay with a click, you're halfway there.

kothoma

It's all about musicianship.
Get a drummer who's willing to learn his trade - keep a ******* beat.
Get a drummer with ears, who's willing to listen to you others and willing to adapt.
All need to listen to each other. Then if only a few have a decent sense for timekeeping you're saved.
Learn to cycle, don't depend on training wheels.