News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

My New Vice? (whisky)

Started by chromesphere, July 15, 2014, 01:37:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chromesphere

Haven't posted for what seems an eternity (at least 2 weeks :D).

Its winter / cold here in Australia at the moment.  Freezing my kahoolies off.   9 degrees today!  Beer just doesn't seem to be the right drink, so influenced by a couple of friends of mine, decided to try scotch whisky.  I'm digging it in this weather, warms you up.  Like my friend said "its like sipping flames and smoke (with all sorts of other flavour notes going on in the background)".  its also an expensive hobby.  According to my whisky drinking friend, roughly $70 - $80 is the sweet spot.  I have a half bottle of Old Pulteney (12yo single malt) my folks brought back for me from Scotland and a bottle of Spey River (12yo single malt), both are very smooth.

Oh, I have a question for whisky drinkers.  Does your palate evolve the more you drink?  Currently im having just a very small nip each night to try and learn to appreciate illusive flavours.  my first glass last week was basically just like drinking windex, couldn't get over the alcoholic content, like a punch in the face.  Last night, I feel was better.  I didn't actually notice the alcohol kick as much, and it went down much more easily (a little too easily lol).  The question! Is experience with whisky (drinking lots) the way to learn to appreciate it?  I hear some pretty fancy explanations of flavours (caramel, honey, the taste of a rusty nail on a spring morning while standing naked in an open field). Currently all I'm tasting is a bit of smokiness and saltiness.  Its also pretty dam smooth!
Pedal Parts Shop              Youtube

aion

Put in a couple of drops of water in the glass if you're drinking it neat. There are many different schools of thought on how much to water it down, and Google is your friend on this, but basically by watering it down just slightly, you'll drop the alcohol percentage a bit and also bring out the flavors a lot more. You're not by any means ruining it or disrespecting it! :)

chromesphere

Hey Aion, this seems to be inline with what I have read (google mainly & friends suggestions).  A few drops of water or a small dash. Oh yeah I should have stated, drinking it neat :D I'll give that a go!

midwayfair

I thought we had a single malt thread?

Personally, and bearing in mind that I have perhaps one drink a month but a good memory for tastes:

Shoot for 35% alcohol content after dilution. Granted every drink and person are different, but I've been reasonably happy with everything in the cupboard. But most good single malts do not smack you in the face with their alcohol content.

Do not use ice -- cold dulls aromas, and single malts aren't blended for their aroma but for their palate. There are a few blends that happen to be very good tossed in the freezer for a bit, like Johnny Walker Gold, but single malts -- no.

It's interesting that you like Old Putney, because it's a very strong (but unique) flavored Whiskey. Since you jumped in the deep end, I'll go ahead and suggest Lagavulin 16; it's probably the best in the "smokey" category.

For the stuff that's NOT very peaty or smokey, it's VERY hard to go wrong with the following: Highland Park 12 or 15; Glenlivet 12; and Oban 14. If you prefer the Highland Park, you'll probably also like Dalwhinny. If you prefer the Glenlivet, there are dozens of other things you'll like, because "Speysides" are the most populous. I try to be adventurous now and then, but the simple fact is that these are the least likely to require any sort of "mood."

Not sure what prices are like where you are, but there are a couple really good Japanese single malts. Just as an example of not worrying about origin. Also, "regions" are mostly bunk; they were made up by an importer/exporter in the 1800s like some sort of tourism thing. If you have a scotch bar near you, it's totally worth getting a flight just to get some experience about what you like.

Chocolate with sweeter malts like the Speysides and Highlands -- and blue cheese with Islay.

derevaun

I agree on the drop of water thing. The slope is slippery, and folks can get really fussy about what kind of water the drops comprise, but it can open up a harsh sip.

I rather prefer something like Famous Grouse to the more sophisticated pours when it comes to Scotch.  :o I continue to try new single malts when friends offer, but I remain a bourbon drinker I'm afraid.

chromesphere

Hey Jon, thanks for your response.  Funny that when I was typing my question I had a feeling you would respond / drink whisky, even though I didn't know you did.  You are quite analytic :)

That's interesting what you said about old pulteney.  See this could be part of the problem, I don't have much else to compare it too.  I believe Spey River (my other bottle) is also quite a full bodied flavour.

I think my confusion probably comes from lack of experience.  I also agree a whisky bar (aka, my friends liquor cabinet :) ) is worth a visit.

Definitely going to have to add a few drops of water.  Everyone I have spoken to and pretty well everything I have read has said scotch benefits from it.

I know this might be taboo, but I have also enjoyed eating with scotch.  Food takes on a whole new character with just a little scotch mixed in.

the3secondrule

Another scotch drinker here.

Current faves are the Lagavulin 16, and Caol Isla on the peaty side of things, and cragganmore and Glen kinchie for the lowland/speyside.

I also reccomend the isle of Jura 16. From what I remember, it's located close to islay. It has the smoke and the sea salt it also has a bit more fruitiness than your average island malt.

Welcome to another expensive hobby ;)
"I have many leatherbound books, and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

alanp

Quote from: chromesphere on July 15, 2014, 01:37:31 AM
Its winter / cold here in Australia at the moment.  Freezing my kahoolies off.   9 degrees today!  Beer just doesn't seem to be the right drink, so influenced by a couple of friends of mine, decided to try scotch whisky.  I'm digging it in this weather, warms you up.

(snipped)

Well, if you try black label, and then red label, you'll DEFINITELY notice a difference!

My current favourite winter-weather-drop is homebrew stout. Roughly 7%, quite bitter, and enough flavour to lacquer a PCB I spilt some on accidentally. (The board still soldered okay.)
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

selfdestroyer

I have been enjoying some Glenrothes select reserve. I picked it up on a whim since Bevmo had it on sale and It was one I have yet to try. I will have to try a few that were mentioned above. I seem to switch back and forth from Scotch and whisky throughout the year. Nothing beats a tumbler of scotch on cool night at the camp grounds. Its one of my favorite things to do. I also keep a few mini bottle in my camera bag for those nice landscape shots. lol

Cody

peterc

Me Uncle Brian who was born in Glasgow but now lives in Perth (Aus), introduced me to single malts. Wow, what a world of different tastes.

Our favourite is Glenmorangie and it is really a good thing to sit and sip a tot over the space of about half an  hour. I use the wine tasting technique and swirl it around my mouth and then suck in some air, but beware this can permanently scar the back of the throat..... Not quite but it is a rush of note.

Enjoy!
Affiliation: bizzaraudio.com

chromesphere

I think the delicate flavours for me are something that will come with experience and diversity.  I pretty much just taste smooth whisky, dryness, with what im guessing everyone refers to as 'peat', a sort of smokiness...kind of tastes smokey...

I've still only seriously drunk the two mentioned above and each of those only a few times each.  I added a bit of water tonight with a nip of Spey River and it definitely took the top off the fumes / burn (allowing me to taste a bit clearer).  The alcoholic burn hides most of the flavours for me, so I think (a very small amount of) water at this point is pretty much essential.

Even with my current blind palate, Im immensely enjoying this winter appropriate drink.

Droogie

Adding water to dilute means that the alcohol won't deaden the taste buds. Another vote for Lagavulin; also Laphroig.  Talisker from the Isle of Skye is also excellent!
Chief Executive Officer in Charge of Burrito Redistribution at Hytone Electric

RobA

I'm going to have to give a vote against water -- whisky abuse ;D.

Lagavulin is probably my favorite, but they are all good. I agree on the Japanese whiskies. I've only had a couple but they were very good and had a different character that was really enjoyable.

Affiliations: Music Unfolding (musicunfolding.com), software based effects and Rockā€¢it Frog (rock.it-frog.com), DIY effects (coming soon).

flanagan0718

This is one of my Favorites!!! ;D

chromesphere

Lagavulin is a popular one, I see that recommended all the time (including from my whisky drinking mate).  Might have to try that one next!  I see my local also has "gift packs" containing a few smaller bottles of various whisky's, might be a cheap way to try a few different types.  I still think raiding my friends liquor cabinet is probably the best option, and definitely the most economical. :D