News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Iron Lung (Shredmaster)

Started by muddyfox, July 17, 2014, 01:24:37 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

muddyfox

So I finally threw together Jeremy's Iron Lung (Shredmaster clone) that he piffed to folks willing to do a buildreport and a demo.

TBH, the demo sucks a big one. I never would have recorded it but it was required so here it is. What little I can actually play is played with no gain to speak of so this is completely foreign territory to me. I just tried to twiddle some knobs so that you can hear some differences, fwiw. Played on a bridge humbucker through a Kemper Badcat Hotcat 30R profile (hello, Paul!  ;) ) with some compression and some reverb.

It was a nice build, fits into a BB with room to spare. Thought to include one of Josh's relay boards but for the life of me couldn't find where I stashed the chips.  ::)

Powdercoat of my own doing, transparent inkjet label, envirotexed label only. That's how I roll these days and methinks I'll be sticking to it for quite a while longer as it's the beez kneez compared to everything else I've tried. There's some funky lighting in my room so I tried tweaking the curves to show the actual knob color (as all the pictures were coming out weird).

All in all, very satisfied how it turned out! Never played the original so I can't compare.
Thanks for a nice project, J.!

wgc

clean!  dig the colors and the sketch is cool too
always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.
e.e. cummings

juansolo

Extra awesome points for getting Master Shredder on there!
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

the3secondrule

That's awesome! Will have to check out the vid once I'm home tonight.

Looks great though, nice work
8) 8)
"I have many leatherbound books, and my apartment smells of rich mahogany"

catfud

That's a truly tasteful build, and really tidy guts - nice one!

Leevibe

That looks perfect! Are you saying you ET'd the decal before mounting or that you just did the top? It looks fantastic either way.

muddyfox

Quote from: Leevibe on July 17, 2014, 05:25:41 PM
Are you saying you ET'd the decal before mounting or that you just did the top?

I don't think ETing the sticker beforehands would work very well, although it may be easier to accurately place. Drilling through the ET and the label would probably cause some lifting.
I ET only the label, once it's on. Not the entire top, just the label. Label edges keep the ET surface tension so unless you really go overboard, no wiping at all necessary. Label comes almost all the way to the edge anyways so you can't really tell it's not the entire top that's covered.

The last enclosure I did where I covered the entire top looked fine all evening and eventually managed to drip overnight when I wasn't around to wipe it off. No such problems anymore.

bcalla

That is so nice! Love the purple knobs.

chuckbuick

Clean and classy build.  Well done.

Leevibe

Quote from: muddyfox on July 18, 2014, 01:01:25 AM
Quote from: Leevibe on July 17, 2014, 05:25:41 PM
Are you saying you ET'd the decal before mounting or that you just did the top?

I don't think ETing the sticker beforehands would work very well, although it may be easier to accurately place. Drilling through the ET and the label would probably cause some lifting.
I ET only the label, once it's on. Not the entire top, just the label. Label edges keep the ET surface tension so unless you really go overboard, no wiping at all necessary. Label comes almost all the way to the edge anyways so you can't really tell it's not the entire top that's covered.

The last enclosure I did where I covered the entire top looked fine all evening and eventually managed to drip overnight when I wasn't around to wipe it off. No such problems anymore.

Got it. Again, it looks perfect!

lincolnic

Great build! Love the Shredder art too.