News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Kleine Wire Strippers (How long do yours last?)

Started by upthepunxxx, July 23, 2014, 05:54:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

upthepunxxx

I was poking around and reading some old threads on wire strippers, and was going to comment on some of them but I realized the posts were a couple years old. Anyways I have some decent (or at least I thought they were decent) Klein strippers I bought from Pacific Radio http://www.pacrad.com/tools-cases/blades-cutters/cutter-stripper-klein-tools-11055.html

It seems like they are already dull, is that possible? Or is it more likely that something is up with my technique? I mean its stripping wire right? If I am doing that wrong I may have to throw in the towel! Just curious if you guys replace strippers a lot or are you still using the same pair your granpappy's granpappy gave you?

Stay Punk!
Wake up and smell the noise!!

JamesM

That's strange.  Mine are pretty darn old and have never given me any issues.

Maple Larynx

It could be your wire gauge.  The model you linked to covers 12 - 20 awg where the typical pedal wire is around 22 - 28 awg.  Those strippers weren't designed to strip the smaller wire.  You'll want to get a stripper that gets down to 26 or 28 awg or is 'automatic'.

rullywowr

+1 for the automatic stripmaster. Love it and it has replaceable cutters too down the line. I supplement that with a $5 pair of yellow handle cheap ones.

DIY Guitar Pedal PCB projects!

pickdropper

I like the Ideal Stripmaster as well.  It's so important to me that I bought a second one as a backup.  I'd be really frustrated if I had to go back to a manual wire stripper.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

upthepunxxx

Yea sorry man I forget to mention that. I have the same set that looks just like those, but go from like 22-32 awg. Pacific Radio didn't have that gauge size on their site when I was posting yesterday. I use 24 gauge stranded pre bond from small bear. You ever used those Klenk strippers? http://www.amazon.com/DA76070-KLENK-Wire-Cutter-Stripper-Small/dp/B0007ZKMU6

Quote from: Maple Larynx on July 24, 2014, 05:53:12 AM
It could be your wire gauge.  The model you linked to covers 12 - 20 awg where the typical pedal wire is around 22 - 28 awg.  Those strippers weren't designed to strip the smaller wire.  You'll want to get a stripper that gets down to 26 or 28 awg or is 'automatic'.

wgc

Sometimes they get bent at the hinge point.  Telltale sign is a little round wear spot on the blade.  You might be able to bend it back, but probably another vote for the automatic ones.  They work great, but I only have the yellow cheapies.  Looking to avoid lots of wire in the future anyway!
always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.
e.e. cummings

upthepunxxx

Thanks man. Looks like I'm gonna have to check out the automatic strippers now for sure. I'll take a peak at my current one as well and see if there is a wear spot. Have you tried those KLENK ones? I watched a video on an old post and they looked amazing? Didnt know if it was the real deal or not.

Quote from: wgc on July 24, 2014, 09:55:44 AM
Sometimes they get bent at the hinge point.  Telltale sign is a little round wear spot on the blade.  You might be able to bend it back, but probably another vote for the automatic ones.  They work great, but I only have the yellow cheapies.  Looking to avoid lots of wire in the future anyway!

Maple Larynx

I am definitely not a high volume builder.  I recently started using these: 

And previously used these: 

alanp

I recently went from sidecutters for stripping (after more than a year... the only stripper I had previous was only suitable for building amps) to getting a pair of strippers that can do 20-24 gauge. Bit of a revelation!
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

muddyfox

Funny you should mention it. I have 11057 (not 11055) and lately I've been noticing that it doesn't strip as easily as it used to. It's only a year old and I don't build a lot so it really should hold up better, methinks?

Now, this Stripmaster... I see it's 10-22, does it work on Barry's wire that's rated at 24?

EDIT: OK, I see they also have all sorts of versions. Which one do you guys use?

pickdropper

I use the 16-26 AWG Stripmaster.  It hits most everything I need for pedals.

It doesn't work for Kynar wire for PCBs, but that's about all I do that it won't cover.
Function f(x)
Follow me on Instagram as pickdropper

muddyfox

Thanks!

So that would be a 45-097.... now, to find a store that ships to Europe...  ::)

alanp

I included my recent strippers in a Seeed order. (Partly through idly browsing their webstore.)
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

muddyfox

huh... i never would have figured to look there, the best i found so far is $32 plus $45 shipping to europe. even if it is kinda bulky an heavy, $45 is ridiculous.