News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Inconsolable Wah (weener)

Started by wgc, July 23, 2014, 08:44:20 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

wgc

Hi all

I know you've been waiting patiently to see my weener, and today's the day.  ;)

Built the board about a month ago, decided to include boost and extra caps but not use switches.  The boost is not in the circuit, and I hard wired the cap selection to my fave. 

I used Joe Gagen's terrible inductor and pot, with an old crybaby shell.  Thanks Joe!  Highly recommended...!

Stripped the shell, and powdercoated it with illusion black.  These colors are hard to photograph and do them justice, but the color shifts a bit when you change the angle.  I figured that would be cool on a wah.

I don't like the tread plate on these shells to begin with, but it really didn't work with the new finish at all.  Took me a while, but I finally settled on grip tape for the tread.  Works really nice, though I don't know how it will hold up.

The name plate is a piece of black acyrlic, laser etched & cut, and held in place with double stick carpet tape.

This is a slightly dark, but very throaty wah, love it!

That little yellow mess is urethane glue, to hold the blue led in place.  I didn't realize how thin the wall was in that area...

Thanks for looking!
always the beautiful answer who asks a more beautiful question.
e.e. cummings

selfdestroyer

Very nice build you have there. Turned out super clean. Love the powder coat color. Makes me want a wah again. lol

Cody

jimilee

Quote from: wgc on July 23, 2014, 08:44:20 PM

Built the board about a month ago, decided to include boost and extra caps but not use switches.  The boost is not in the circuit, and I hard wired the cap selection to my fave. 

Wait... How's that work logistically?

Man that looks super clean,mand the tread works. I've gotten all my wah stuff from joe, sure dependable and takes care of us pretty good too.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

wgc

Thanks guys!

Jimi, sorry to be unclear-  installed all the parts for the boost section. Weener2 has the option of hard wiring boost 'on' with wah bypass or another switch to decide if you want boost or not.  Or you can just leave those parts out if you don't want boost. 

I put the parts in but no switch, so I can either hardwire it in or add the switch later. But right now the boost is just floating outside the wah circuit until I either jumper it on or add the switch.

There's also a switch for a choice of 1 of 3 caps, I skipped the switch and jumpered to use the cap I like best. The other two caps are still in there, but each has one end floating open to the switch pads. 
e.e. cummings

chuckbuick

Nice wah, Billy.  That powder coat is cool. 

FWIW, I used grip tape on a tube bumper I had on my old pickup (when it was wet it was easy for my feet to slip off) and it stayed on for the 16 years I had it.  It faded a bit and got a little rough around the edges but was pretty much intact.  I don't suppose your wah will be subjected to that kind of weather and abuse. 

jimilee

Quote from: wgc on July 24, 2014, 05:07:30 AM
Thanks guys!

Jimi, sorry to be unclear-  installed all the parts for the boost section. Weener2 has the option of hard wiring boost 'on' with wah bypass or another switch to decide if you want boost or not.  Or you can just leave those parts out if you don't want boost. 

I put the parts in but no switch, so I can either hardwire it in or add the switch later. But right now the boost is just floating outside the wah circuit until I either jumper it on or add the switch.

There's also a switch for a choice of 1 of 3 caps, I skipped the switch and jumpered to use the cap I like best. The other two caps are still in there, but each has one end floating open to the switch pads.
ooohhhh I got you. I put all the switches and knobs on mine. Makes sense though, I left off the knobs and switches on my wizard wah.
Pedal building is like the opposite of sex.  All the fun stuff happens before you get in the box.

wgc

Thanks Mark-  glad to hear I probably made a good choice, I think it will hold up fine, though might be hard to clean. 

I love the color on this one, really needs to be seen in person.

Glad to clear things up Jimi.  Brian did a great job on this circuit, I don't know what else you could ask for.  Except maybe smd and 1590a?  ;-)

It sounds great, I wish I had about another 20 deg of rotation from the treadle to get the full range of the pot.
e.e. cummings

chuckbuick

Quote from: wgc on July 24, 2014, 09:52:28 AMI wish I had about another 20 deg of rotation from the treadle to get the full range of the pot.
You can probably shave a little length off the back rubber stop to get the extra range you need.

wgc

Thanks Mark!  Already shaved them when I glued them back in. I'll have to adjust one of the resistors but I almost hate to mess with it, just me trying to think of something that's not awesome about the circuit.
e.e. cummings

jimilee

Some of th eother wah pedals you can remove the Q trimmer and resistor. I've done this on a couple.

wgc

Thanks jimi, I probably won't do anything but if I do, I'll let y'all know
e.e. cummings