News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

My first layout evolved into a pedal (well kinda) Klon Buffer

Started by jimmybjj, April 24, 2011, 05:00:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jimmybjj

I know its a pretty basic build but I'm pretty proud, it being my first layout come to life. I also like that i was able to get it inside the small enclosure.

Next to a Boss for size reference

Pcbs no longer available

thetrend77

mattpoole

i love the artwork and the tiny size. how much does it color your sound?

jimmybjj

I wish I could take credit for the artwork but I found it online and played around with it. As far as coloring the sound, i was never very good at putting what i hear into words. I asked my wife what the sound difference to her ears was, and after she got don't looking at me like i crazy she said " The second one (the buffer) sounds like there is bells in the sound " which i think describes what happens very well. To use a very overused term in pedal jargon, it makes the signal "shimmery"  ;D I should point out that i don't know if this is "coloring" the sound or if it is just bring back the original sound that was affected by long cable lengths and true-bypass pedals.
Pcbs no longer available

thetrend77

I wonder how one would go about making one of these with a switch to turn it on and off?

petesz

Awesome, great job man. From start to finish, a working product!

madbean

Well done! I love the little guy on there. Now post it on TGP anonymously and say it's "the new Klon"!!

sgmezei

juansolo

Sweet!

That might prove very useful in a valve pedal I have in the works currently *rubs chin*
Gnomepage - DIY effects library & stuff in the Stompage bit
"I excite very large doom for days" - playpunk

jstbrowsin

jimmybjj

Quote from: thetrend77 on April 24, 2011, 07:01:27 PM
I wonder how one would go about making one of these with a switch to turn it on and off?

easy, just replace any of circuit boards in madbeans true-bypass builds with the buffer and you have it.
Pcbs no longer available

jimmybjj

Quote from: madbean on April 24, 2011, 09:31:44 PM
Well done! I love the little guy on there. Now post it on TGP anonymously and say it's "the new Klon"!!

:D I'm sure i would get some chuckles and then several $400 orders for a simple buffer  ;D
Pcbs no longer available

bigmufffuzzwizz

Thats awesome! I love the little enclosure. It sounds like what your describing is exactly what coloring is. The easiest way to tell is plug in straight(guitar to amp) and then plug it with the pedal(of course!). I doubt the added effect is the signal loss in the cable. You don't have to worry much about that until your using cables over 10ft and you find yourself on-stage w/ 50ft of cable from guitar to pedalboard to amp. Sparkle is a great added effect to me especially for getting those classic rock tone.
Owner and operator of Magic Pedals