News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

I really enjoyed discovering this pedal :D

Started by Cortexturizer, July 27, 2014, 04:51:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cortexturizer

I'm sure these guys are not new to you people but today was my first encounter with their offer and this one stood out. A couple of concepts used and tuned brilliantly, I'm lovin' it :) What do you guys think?
https://kuatodesign.blogspot.com - thoughts on some pedals I made
https://soundcloud.com/kuato-design-stompboxes - sounds and jams

Stomptown

WTF! Who's gonna trace this so I can build one?  ;D  Very cool indeed!

Govmnt_Lacky

WTF Indeed!!!  :o

Sounds like a PLL, Envelope follower, and Distortion all in one!

Muadzin

Seems like an excellent one trick pony pedal.

In a way its odd though, you take a pedal with a very general, almost generic (but good) sound (like a tubescreamer) and a million guitarists can use it without getting accused of plagiarism. Then you take a pedal like this, with a very pronounced sound, and one famous guitarist uses it and forever everyone else who uses it will get accused of trying to sound like that guitarist.

selfdestroyer

This was compared to an Ugly face with a LFO mod in another thread here. Wonder how true that is.

Cody

GrindCustoms

That is really in the same alley than the Uglyface, but the envellope transient can go much faster.........stunning!!!!

All the control seem to interact in the same manner aswell.
Killing Unicorns, day after day...

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/

marauder

Definitely an Uglyface, with different vactrol, LDR/LED combo.

Get a Machette from Rej.

Hangingmonkey

Quote from: marauder on July 28, 2014, 01:51:31 AM

Get a Machette from Rej.

Any suggestions for alternatives. Im thinking putting it on a 4p3t when i get my machette

LaceSensor

yeah it was me that likened it to an ugly face
its certainly a cool sounding box
Great for noise / experimentation / ambient though

if you wanna get in to the ball park then for sure the Machete PCB is the way forward

GrindCustoms

Quote from: Hangingmonkey on July 28, 2014, 03:00:28 AM

Get a Machette from Rej.

Any suggestions for alternatives. Im thinking putting it on a 4p3t when i get my machette

I think it would be somehow tricky to have those LED/LDR options on a switch, without an uBer amount of wiring, but it can be done.

You would need to have each combo, or the actual LED/LDR mounted on the switch adn then route the wires to those pads on the pcb. It can be done. Easily.... not sure ;)

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/

Hangingmonkey

Quote from: GrindCustoms on July 28, 2014, 01:39:20 PM
Quote from: Hangingmonkey on July 28, 2014, 03:00:28 AM

Get a Machette from Rej.

I think it would be somehow tricky to have those LED/LDR options on a switch, without an uBer amount of wiring, but it can be done.

You would need to have each combo, or the actual LED/LDR mounted on the switch adn then route the wires to those pads on the pcb. It can be done. Easily.... not sure ;)

I was thinking about rolling my own vtl and mounting on a strip of vero and then I guess 12 sets of wires to a switch would get a bit messy.
Something like this:

Sorry for the crappy pic, I drew it on my ipad after a few beers...

What would affect the sweep more, the led or different ranges on the ldr?

GrindCustoms

Your drawing makes sense, pretty much how i viewed it, but if you'd like to choose between only 2 LED/LDR combo, you could simply use a On/On 3PDT toggle.

To be honest i have no idea of wich of the 2 will have the most impact. The LDR is probably the dominant factor. Again here you have place for lots of experimentation because not only the LDR will make a difference in behavior but also how you set the trimpot.

I just don't have time right now to experiment with different combo, i'm already back logged with everything i have to crank out until i fly away... :-\

peAk

Quote from: Muadzin on July 27, 2014, 05:45:07 PM
Seems like an excellent one trick pony pedal.

In a way its odd though, you take a pedal with a very general, almost generic (but good) sound (like a tubescreamer) and a million guitarists can use it without getting accused of plagiarism. Then you take a pedal like this, with a very pronounced sound, and one famous guitarist uses it and forever everyone else who uses it will get accused of trying to sound like that guitarist.

Funny, exactly what I was thinking.

That being said, I would build something like this in a heartbeat if something similar was available.

I mean, you can't even play dotted 1/8 note delay times without getting compared to Gilmour or The Edge. It is what it is.