News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Brazen Bull No. 1

Started by jubal81, July 27, 2014, 10:21:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jubal81

Hello, My name is Jubal81 and I'm a dirt junkie. Built tons and I still had 5 on the floor at my amp. The idea behind the Brazen Bull was to take my favorites and get them all (well, not all, but a good few) in a 125B with just four knobs and a switch. I used headers and two PCB stacked together to get it all to fit, so lots of careful measuring and calculating.

There are four settings:
JFET boost
JFET Mu-amp overdrive
CD4049UBE distortion
Muff variant

These all go through a James tone stack. What you see here is the first prototype. There are a few things I want to fine tune and I've been back at the breadboard all week - 3 hours today and I ended up just changing one component. Maybe I'll be done before my beard turns gray.

The box is etched and then - gulp - electroplated with copper, rubbed with shoe polish and clear coated. Yes, it looks cool as hell, but I'll never do it again. I ruined two other enclosures, my favorite pants and spent about 8-10 hours just babying that thing in the copper bath. I wanted to get that 'excavated from a Greek island' look and I'm pretty happy with it.

"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

GrindCustoms

How the hell could you wait before posting this!!!!! :o

MasterPiece this is!
Killing Unicorns, day after day...

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/

jubal81

Quote from: GrindCustoms on July 27, 2014, 10:26:18 PM

MasterPiece this is!

Eh, I was waiting for sound clips, but that's gonna be a while. Glad you kicked my arse into getting this up.
"If you put all the knobs on your amplifier on 10 you can get a much higher reaction-to-effort ratio with an electric guitar than you can with an acoustic."
- David Fair

Stomptown

Sick on so many levels! From the enclosure to the stacked PCBs to switch mounted relay pcb... this is just beautiful!

Thomas_H

Thats a beauty in many aspects.
DIY-PCBs and projects:

Hangingmonkey

That thing looks amazing. It's taking DIY to another level

cooder

Absolutely fantastic and clever and gorgeous too! :o
BigNoise Amplification

selfdestroyer

That is some next level stuff right there! I love it.. Well the pants are already ruined, so keep wearing them and do another enclosure.

Cody

TGP39

Every time I reach for the bar, you guys raise it beyond belief. This is truly art.  Incredible. Fantastic job.
Follow me on Instagram under PharmerFx.

Tremster

Don't you ever think of how the lesser talented builders feel?

Absolutely incredibly fantastic!

GrindCustoms

Quote from: jubal81 on July 27, 2014, 10:28:12 PM
Quote from: GrindCustoms on July 27, 2014, 10:26:18 PM

MasterPiece this is!

Eh, I was waiting for sound clips, but that's gonna be a while. Glad you kicked my arse into getting this up.

A deaf-blind would stare at one of these! ;D

Killing Unicorns, day after day...

Building a better world brick by brick:https://rebrickable.com/users/GrindingBricks/mocs/

alanp

Agreed with everyone else, it's definitely raising the bar. Far, far more impressive than "just another" clean wiring job (although I hate to sound dismissive like that.)

Any problems with crosstalk or noise?
"A man is not dead while his name is still spoken."
- Terry Pratchett
My OSHpark shared projects
My website

micromegas

Cool as hell. I love the copper patine,  and the circuit idea is awesome. I want at least one if you ever do a run of those.
'My favorite programming language is solder' - Bob Pease

Software Developer @ bela.io

kothoma

mmlee

Whoa, this is amazing.  Seriously impressive.
>Marcus