News:

Forum may be experiencing issues.

Main Menu

Aquaboy problem

Started by bangerang101, April 25, 2011, 10:53:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bangerang101

I just finished the aquaboy w/ the v3205 chip, and used the trimpots to adjusted accordingly (cleanest repeats, lowest clock noise, longest delay time), and it was sounding great. So I took it off the breadboard and wired it up in the actual enclosure, and when I was finished it just had a sort of reverb/chorus sound to it with no actually repeat sounds. So I rebiased it after that and it was again sounding good w/ nice, clean, 300-350ms repeats and nice loud repeats... until today, I plugged it in and it's doing just the reverbish sound again, so I reset the bias knob, clock, and delay time trimmers, and again, it works great. I was wondering if anyone has had this problem yet, and/or any fixes for it? I don't know why it would "reset" like this or whatever... but I don't wanna have to do that every time I use it... Also, could messing w/ the repeats knob alot (sending it into oscillation craziness) cause this to happen? Anyway, any help would be appreciated.
Owner of Luck Duck Pedals (LDP)

madbean

It sounds to me like your voltage into the board might be fluctuating. What kind of power supply did you use on the breadboard and what PS are you using with the final build?

bangerang101

Actually, I used the same adapter for both the breadboard and the actual pedal, so I don't think this would be an issue... but maybe something is weird w/ the power on the board somewhere? IDK, the only change I made from the stock layout for the v3205 version is I changed r31 to a 33k instead of a 22k to make the repeats "tame" until the end of the pot rotation... Also, I remember changing r15 to a smaller value to make the repeats cleaner, something like 33k, I believe... and that worked as well. Maybe that has something to do with it though? Not sure but, it sounds great when it's working

bangerang101

Oh, another question... how bad actually is it to not socket the chips on this build? because I didn't and I'm afraid maybe the v3205 is acting weird as the result of that... It's just weird because it was working flawlessly, now I can't get it dialed in again (it seems that I can't even bias it to pass delay now)... IDK, any other suggestions?

gtr2

You can get away without using a socket, but it's not worth chancing it.  They are pretty sensitive to soldering heat.

I don't think this is your problem though since you did have delay previously.

It should be a set and forget once you get it calibrated.

Can you give us the voltage at the bbd pins.

How are you calibrating?  Are you using an audioprobe to calibrate (listening to pin 3 or 4) or are you just listening to the output of the engaged effect?

Josh
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

bangerang101

Well, I haven't checked the voltages on the bbd, but I will...it just doesn't seem likely because I had the effect working perfectly b4, and I haven't messed w/ anything on the board that would screw with the voltage on the circuit)...

As for biasing I just did it by ear, w/ the pedal engaged through my amp. How would I go about biasing w/ an audio probe on the bbd pins?... like, what would I be listening for?

Also, thought maybe I should mention about where I have the trimmers set when the pedal is working, so I can be sure these are semi-normal settings, typically...

1. Bias - I found that when I set it a little more than halfway, I got the cleanest repeats. Any lower than 12:00 (halfway) the delay cuts out and above about 2:00 it cuts out as well.

2.cancel - Same as bias, when I set it a little past 12:00 it gets the cleanest sound w/ the least clock noise (sort of depends on where I have the clock set though)

3.clock - I set this to have the longest repeats w/ the least amount of noise introduced... around 12:00 I found to be the most usable range. Any higher than that though, and it starts getting a high pitch, sample rate reduce kind of sound (when the delay pot is turned fully clockwise).

Does this sound like normal operation for this circuit?... Also, would wiring it up into the enclosure have anything to do w/ it, like... the amount of wire I use for the pots or input or output wires or anything like that... would any of these things have the effect of making the delay signal stop working, until resetting the trimmers?... thanks for the advice given so far btw, guys... appreciate it.

gtr2

The trimmers are around where they ended up on my build, except the clock which I've got about 2/3 clockwise on a single turn trim.

Don't rule out anything.  When boxing things up, a weaker solder joint that worked previously can easily fracture when your handling the board and wires etc...  Voltages are always a good start regardless, plus I have no idea how hot your running you bbd.

First, turn your delay time pot to around noon and the feedback to fully counterclockwise so you would only get one repeat.

Next, take your audio probe and listen to pin 7 on the v3205 to make sure your still getting a signal to the bbd.

If you don't have a signal we need to troubleshoot elsewhere.

If you do have a signal put the probe on pin 3 or 4 (it doesn't matter which) of the bbd.  You should be able to slowly turn the trim until you get your delayed signal.  You will get some nice squealing along with the signal that will peal paint so keep your amplification device low until you get a feel for the volume.

Let us know what you find.

Good Luck!

Josh

1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

bangerang101

Ok, will do... thank you, sir

bangerang101

Just got around to messing w/ the delay again....can't get it to work at all, though just getting a reverb type sound again, and the oscillation sort of works if the repeat knob is all the way up... but no repeats are coming through.

heres the voltages im getting from the bbd v3205

pin1 (gnd) - 0 v
pin2 (cp2) - 2.26 v
pin3 and 4 (out1 and out2) - 3.16 v
pin 5 (Vdd) - 6.25 v
pin 6 (CP1) - 2.63
pin 7 (In) - 3.15
pin 8 (Vcc) - 5.20

are these normal voltages for this bbd?

I messed around w/ putting the audio probe to pin 7... I can hear my guitar signal but I'm not getting any delay, just a slight reverb kind of sound. Also, tried using the audio probe on pin 3, then dialing the trim pots to different spots to try and get a delay out of it... again, just getting a slight reverb sound and laser sort of sounds when turning the bias trimpot from counter-clockwise to fully clockwise...

Ive also double checked the parts and layout to make sure I have all the proper values, right orientation for polarized caps, diodes, ect... and everything was fine... again the only deviation from stock values was r31 I changed to 33k instead of 22k for the repeat knob to oscillate later, and I changed r15 to a 51k from a 100k to make repeats less distorted.

Also... just noticed, w/ the pots - the mix pot is effectively mixing in the reverbish sound and seems like it's funtion correctly, and the repeat knob goes into oscillation when turned all the way up, meaning it's probably working right... but the delay knob just makes a warble kind of sound when I turn it up and down or when I touch the lugs of the pot w/ my fingers.... not sure if this helps at all, but... I'm just experimenting, trying to figure out whats wrong w/ it...

IDK, any other suggestions/help?

gtr2

I think your problem lies somewhere with the clock/or time pot.  Where is the clock trim?  I'd set it close to max to start off.  You can lower it to limit the clock noise once you get it functioning.  With only one bbd this delay borders on a reverb because the delay time is so short.  Could you post your voltages for the clock IC as well.  Your voltages for CP1 and CP2 look low.  Plus some good pics may help.

Josh
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

bangerang101

Even with the clock trimmer all the way up w/ it biased in the area where the reverb sounds the cleanest it still isn't passing any repeats. I can't get any kind of delay out of it at this point... when it was working (wired up in the enlcosure), I was messing w/ the repeats and oscillation knob and thats when it just suddenly stopped working... really frustrating, to just work perfect like that, then stop, now I can't get it to delay at all.

voltages for the clock IC :
pin1- 5.18v
pin2- 2.44v
pin3- 0v
pin4- 2.46v
pin5- 2.55v
pin6- 2.58v
pin7- 2.73v
pin8- 0v

gtr2

If your getting reverb it is passing a delayed signal its just really short.  Where is you clock trim set?
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

bangerang101

Oh, ok... Ive been trying the trimmers in various spots for like an hour now and can't get it to delay besides that reverb sound I mentioned...but when I'm turning the clock trimmer it's making a weird warble noise in certain spots but it's still not delaying... when the delay was working properly I had all the trimmers set around noon, though. Now, that isn't working at all either

gtr2

Sorry, I didn't see your voltages for the clock on my iphone browser.  But pin 8 on your clock should not be 0V.
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer

gtr2

Concentrate on the components in the bottom left of the schematic it seems like something is shorting to ground.  Check c22 again.  Something is definitely wrong in this area around the clock IC.
1776 EFFECTS STORE     
Contract PCB designer